Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 1 decade ago

B&A Fun Poll 2: You're In A Bookstore...(+Updates on NOW and WC)?

Hey B&A

Pick what you would pick if you saw these in a book store, if you have more than one answer, pick from best to worst and BA will go to elaboration =)

1) Titles:

- Death's Heart

- A Single Man

- Perched Outside in the Pouring Rain

- The Third Eye

- A Story to Tell

- Month of May

2) Opening line(s)

- It was a little black box

- "You can't."

"But, oh, I already did."

- My finger trailed over the picture

- The spaceship landed, only not where we had planned.

- "Goodbye." And then she was gone.

3) The closing line:

- She smiled. "Remember me?"

- "We come in peace."

- She didn't scream. In fact, she didn't make any noise at all.

- I opened the envelope, taking out a note. 'Harlows Park. Sunday at 1 pm. I want to see you. Be there. Grace.'

BQ: How many of you got ideas for a story whilst reading above? Be honest! (You know what? These are great starting points for WC...hm!)

~ JLT

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Updates:

Very briefly, NOW (Night of Write) is a great, motivational night where writers plan a date to stay up at night to complete their individual goals. WC (Writers Challenge) is just a free, fun competition for writers to express their talent, and get the chance to become a better writer. Founder of NOW, Amber, and WC, Just Like That (myself, if you haven't noticed) have decided to join together to make a website together, if you'd like take a look I'll post the link in the additional details

It's not only host of the two challenges found on B&A, but there is much more going on - Writers Gallery, Tips, Surveys, Forum, Writing Exercises...!

Let me know your thoughts

Thanks ;)

Thanks for answers :)

@MissFit: Haha! Feel free to use ;) That goes for everyone really, glad I could prompt ideas XD

@MissFit: Woohoo! Thanks and glad you like XD

Thanks to Jen and Kathryn too XD

1) Best - Perched Outside in the Pouring Rain. This is one of those titles that just sounds odd, so of course I have to pick up the book and find out what is going on.

Middle - The Third Eye, A Story to Tell and The Month of May. The Third Eye sounds like a 1970s sci-fi novel, a genre that doesn't really interest me. A Story to Tell and The Month of May are very bland titles for books - I can't make a strong enough judgement based on the title alone.

Worst - Tie Between Death's Heart & A Single Man. Deaths Heart sounds too much like it could be a generic, by the numbers paranormal romance. A Single Man sounds like the title of a Mills & Boon romance novel. Enough said.

2) Best -

"You can't."

"But oh, I already did."

What have they done? I demand to know. Tell me, tell me, TELL ME!

3) "She didn't scream. In fact she didn't make any noise at all."

BQ; Have to admit, I got a few ideas from this. I think my next story IS going to be called Perched Outside in the Rain, and the opening line will be, "You Can't". Thanks for that, JLT:-)

1) I'd pick Death's Heart (I read the Book Thief, and enjoyed the concept), and The Third Eye (always been interested - but never believed - in the idea). I'd take a look at A Single Man, if the back cover is intriguing then that too.

A Story to Tell is a bit vague, so not that one

2) I'd pick - It was a little black box - and if the story continues around that box then that's good, I wouldn't like it if was an irrelevant detail. Also "Goodbye." And then she was gone - sounds quite good too.

The spaceship landed, only not where we had planned.- Interesting, just not so into sci-fi

3) She smiled. "Remember me?" - This one sounds nice, a happy ending - I hope so anyways XD

But I think this one is best - I opened the envelope, taking out a note. 'Harlows Park. Sunday at 1 pm. I want to see you. Be there. Grace.'

Site looks great, have joined under the name k_05 :)

Edit: Forgot the BQ - Yes, I did! Thanks

1) Titles:

Honestly, not one of those appeals to me. Well, maybe "Perched Outside in the Pouring Rain", a little.

I'd have to take a look at the cover art and dust jacket to see if they're my type. ;-)

2) Opening line:

- My finger trailed over the picture. (Love it!! Can I use it?)

- It was a little black box. (I'm already dying to know what that box is, where it was found and what's inside it! Can I use it? Please, say yes, pleeease!!)

- The spaceship landed, only not where we had planned. (Ooh, Sci-fi! I'm in.)

3) The closing line:

- She smiled. "Remember me?" (Fabulous. I might use it some day)

- She didn't scream. In fact, she didn't make any noise at all. (Kind of a reverse "Martian Chronicles"? Ooh, I think I have an idea for the next WC!)

BQ: Yes! See above.

I'm heading to the new site right now.

EDIT: Great! Thank you. I took a peek at the new site and I think it's pretty cool. The visuals are appealing and it already seems more fleshed out than the other one. I registered.

1) Titles: Death's Heart

*Death fascinates me. I use it in every story I write. This would be an obvious selection for me.

2) Opening line(s): "My finger trailed over the picture."

*I love the nostalgic feeling. It makes me wonder what's changed since that photo was taken.

3) The closing line: "I opened the envelope, taking out a note. 'Harlows Park. Sunday at 1 pm. I want to see you. Be there. Grace.'"

*It sounds like a hopeful and satisfying ending.

BQ: I didn't... but that's probably a good thing. I have way too many "future projects" to keep up with anyway. Now I'm off to look at this website. :)

• Doug

1) Mmm, well my answer is based on the title I'd pick up to have a read of the synopsis, and I'd say The Third Eye. But I'd also have a look at Death's Heart.

2) Probably 'It was a little black box.' I'm not a fan of dialogue as the opening line, I prefer simple lines that are full of questions.

3) Don't really know, it would depend on the story. If the line was fitting, and wrapped it up nicely then any of them would do, whereas if it just left the story unfinished I wouldn't like it.

BQ) I didn't, but then I'm not in 'creative mode' right now.

(thanks for the site update, if you didn't get my email reply)

Titles:

1.) Death's Heart

* the title seems intriguing and it's short and sweet, so it makes me want to pick it up. :)

2) A Story to Tell

* I like this title. If I saw it, I would think that it has a lot of potential to be a good book.

Opening line(s)

1) "You can't."

"But, oh, I already did."

*haha I love it! It makes me so curious to know what happened. I would definitely keep reading.

The closing line:

1) She smiled. "Remember me?"

* This is a perfect line for a sequel or a cliffhanger ending. I like it!

BQ: I didn't. But I wish I did. :(. I got ideas of walking to the library, even though it's pouring out, to go look at the shelves and find a book that fits this criteria. lol. I'm more of a reader than a creative author.

1. Perched Outside in the Pouring Rain -- it reminds me of My Fair Lady and has many possibilities.

2. My finger trailed over the picture. -- Sad sounding. I am good at sad.

3. Smiled. "Remember me?" or I opened the envelope, taking out a note. "Harlows Park.Sunday at 1pm. I want to see you. Be there. Grace.-- the first one because it could be funny or scary, the second because it's mysterious.

bq: Yes actually several. =)

1. Titles * Painted Faces * Waking Dream * The Avenue Whispers * Notes from the Dead 2. Cover * There is a frosty, December scene of beautiful snow resting on the park's grass. And despite the day, the sun is shining high in the sky * There is a bird eyes view of a locked black box with a key in the lock 3. The main character is called: * Hunter * Anastasia 4. The theme of the book is: * Death is Part of the Life Cycle * Man Struggles Against Societal Pressure

I love these things! :)

1) Death's Heart

It's sounds really intriguing. ''Like, death? With a heart? WHAT IS THIS? I must read it!'' It sounds unique, I guess.

2) "You can't."

"But, oh, I already did."

I like this, because it sort of hints at dark humour and clever or rebellious characters.

3)- She smiled. "Remember me?"

Again, perhaps a bit of humour, and/or a mystery. ''I DON'T REMEMBER YOU! WHO ARE YOU! I must find out!''

• Blue

1) Death's Heart

2) "You can't."

"But, oh, I already did."

3) She smiled. "Remember me?"

BQ) Woah, I did. :D A pretty vague one, but still.