How long do cravings last after Quitting Smoking?

I am on my second day, and not doing so well, how long should I expect to want to kill people?

Thank you for the time and energy provided in your supportive answers.

Good for you for quitting smoking. When I quit before, I had pneumonia and after two weeks I had no desire to smoke until someone insisted I have a cigarette then I was hooked again. Everyone is different as to how long the cravings last but, I think after a week or two the cravings will be less often. Take showers, walks, and exercise to help you through this trying time. Eat fruits too. Try to avoid coffee or the things you associate with smoking. Get a punching bag and put it in your basement or garage when you get the craving go take your frustrations out on the punching bag. There are so many benefits to quitting and no benefits to smoking. Good Luck

• longs

How Long After Quitting Smoking

I will admit that even after eight years of not smoking, I STILL have dreams that I am smoking. I wake up either being terrified that I started smoking again, or feeling like I just found my best friend again. I have always said that if I ever came down with a terminal disease, the first thing I would do is pick up a smoke, but in all honesty, I don't think I really would. Use all the resources you can to quit, personally, I used the patch and absolutely swear by it. I had no physical withdrawal symptoms at all. Well, except for the smoking dreams that is. Best thing I ever did. So, to answer your question, the cravings last as long as you let them. You will replace the smoking craving with something else. Just choose a good replacement.

Congratulations on quitting smoking... it is one of the hardest things you will EVER do, I have quit for 5 years, just coming up on the anniversary and I still have times when I crave a ciggy. So I am not sure that they ever really go away, but I will say that the times I crave one are very few and far between maybe two or three times a year. It is tough, but you just have to keep saying - "I am not a smoker, I don't need a cigarette!" The first week was hard and I found that at around three months it hit me really hard for about a week and again at about 8/9 months - no idea why, but again for about a week I could have picked up a pack and smoked the whole thing, but glad I didn't, I love being healthy and having clean lungs... I hated it when anyone said that to me when I smoked, but it is true. I also have fewer colds and flu attaks and if I do get sick, I get over it in a few days. It is well worth the pain of trying to stop. Just congratulate yourself for every hour, every day, and everytime you do a something where you would have lit up.... and you don't. You can do it!

The withdrawl stops after the third day, but it doesn't feel like it until about the 8th day. The important thing to remember is that it only takes 7 days to form a habit, but it takes 21 days to break a habit. So the habit is the hardest part to break and that will take 21 days. I quit for 10 years (started again about 8 months ago...stupid, I know) some tools that helped...all scientific facts, not made up by me.

Take deep breaths when you need a cigarette. The oxygen will help.

Remember a craving will only last for ten minutes.

Excersize helps to reduce cravings.

If you excersize a lot too you wont gain the weight normally gained when you quit smoking. Most people start eating rather than smoking. I also used Nicorette Gum if it got really bad. I didn't follow the instructions by any means. I chewed three pieces of gum total. But it helped me get through the rough patches. I figure why suffer if you don't have to. So there's my 2 cents. Hope it helps!

• Linda

Natural Quit Smoking Magic

In one way, shape or form or the other, it will last a long time, weeks, months years. BUT, that is exactly the reason not to surrender to the evil weed. While No Pain No Gain is true, there are many ways to deal with the quitting process.

It all depends on how long you have smoked, how many cigarettes a day (honestly), and how dependent you were. The biggest IF (and this is from experience of quitting several times), is do you really, really deep down inside want to quit. Or is it just something you think you need to do? This, I found, was the key. The last time (18 months back) I quit, my body and mind told me, enough, now it is time to quit. I have never looked back since.

Do you feel that way? If you do, you will succeed. I used a patch, but only as a stop gap measure to help me get thru the bad days.

Either way, good luck!!!

I hope this will be supportive, because it is meant to be.

I quit smoking 25 years ago. I just decided to stop and I did. It was hard at first as I had smoked for quite a while (2-3 years) and smoked constantly, one right after the other.

Now, years later, I go for several months at a time without giving it even a thought. Then, out of nowhere, I will start to wish I could have a cigarette. I don't do it because it is somewhat easy to push the thought aside. But I feel as if, without giving it a thought, I might.

Then months and months will go by without a thought of a cigarette.

The funny thing is, the thing I would most want to smoke is a cigar! :))

After a week the worst is done. Then after 3 weeks they come occasionally. Then once in a blue moon. I still get a craving here and there.

But let me tell you how much better it is now that I've quit. I smoked for 12 years and quit 12 years ago. Food tastes soooo much better. I have more energy. No fear of horrible disease. And insurance is 1/2 what it would be if I still smoked!

Spring smells better, people who kiss me don't have to taste an ashtray. My house doesn't reak, my clothing doesn't smell, I can eat anywhere in a restaurant. I feel better, I never have that nagging cough. I have more money...

You get the picture. Just quit. Here's the trick. Don't buy them. That's what I did. Nothing more. I didn't make a big deal out of it, I just stopped buying them. And since I felt stupid as an adult begging for them, I pretty much just quit.

You CAN do it!!!!!

Source(s): Me.

I smoked 2 packs a day when I quit in 1979 and haven't had one since. The severe cravings lasted 5-7 days, but I still occasionally have mild cravings - especially after a good meal. But quiting was the best thing I ever did for myself. I quit probably 20 times before it finally worked, so don't give up and good luck!

Source(s): Personal experience

You will start feeling greatly better in five days. By the end of two weeks 80--90% of cravings are gone. By the end of 30--45 days all cravings are gone.

Remove all ashtrays, matches, lighters. Do not hang out with smoking friends during this process.

If you feel you are almost undable to resist the craving, do not smoke, rather drink a big glass of water and run or walk around outside. That is sufficient. Also, any work requiring concentration, on your computer, writingk, washing the car will take your mind in another direction. Vast amounts of time go by while you are otherwise engaged, just as when you are sleeping.

Drink V8 juice, cranberry juice, orange juice and take a Calcium/Magnesium/Vitamin D mineral supplement.

Notice how much better you feel everyday. You are succeeding and this is what you want. Thaink of all the money you are saving.

You no longer need to be embarrassed in front of kids.

You can smell the flowers. The world looks brighter.

If an irrestible craving comes along, take a shower and put on clean, fresh smelling clothes. Have a banana split.

If you are under 30 this is far easier as you will eliminate all toxins much more rapidly. The older people will still have the advantage of more mind control.

The cravings may take longer to go away in older people who have smoked for a long time. If you feel you need further help, ask your doctor for a Zyban Rx.

The effort is worth it. Six months later you are an entirely new person.