Pascal
Pascal asked in Science & MathematicsMathematics · 1 decade ago

What the heck does "pls" mean?

I see that word a lot after many of the questions in this section, and I'm wondering what it means. I know it doesn't mean please, because surely anyone who is going to ask people to take valuable time out of their day to do their homework for them would not be so ill-mannered as to mock all standards of politeness and decency by deliberately misspelling the word "please," so I assume that it must be some kind of internet abbreviation with which I am not familiar. So what does it mean?

• Jan

Unfortunately, it means please. I started hating chat abbreviations since the first time I saw them. Is it too hard to type complete words? I mean, it only takes SECONDS to type the complete word, PLEASE people, stop being so damn lazy. I understand acronyms, but don't abbreviate every single freakin' word! So it's either laziness, retardedness, or maybe they just think it's cool. Personally, I hate it. I usually help anyway, but that's just because I like to help... don't get me wrong, that crap still annoys me.

• Lv 6
      3 years agoReport

What a ******' idiot! Pls stay out of the interwebs, as you clearly will not fit in.

Contrary to popular belief this usage is not lazy or indecent nor is it as recent as many of you seem to think. At least as far back as the time of the American Revolution pls or plz was used in place of please in correspondence , again after the introduction of the telegraph, and most recently with the advent of text messaging, and all for the same reason, cost. During the early days of our country both paper and ink were expensive, so there were accepted methods of abbreviation to cram as much information into a letter as possible pls (or plz) was one example of this. When sending telegrams you were charged by the word (as in typing every 5 characters not actual words) so once again pls was used (among many other shortcuts u for you and so on) to make the sending of a message as cost effective as possible. As for text messaging, when first introduced, you may recall, we were charged per message we sent, so cutting letters out of messages meant a single text could be sent instead of two. It became a habit that carried over onto the internet, even though the need for the abbreviation no long exists,,,,to be fair though I am fairly sure you type OK or okay instead of Orl Korrekt which is the widely accepted original phrase the abbreviation came from, so can you really cast stones?

• Erika

Pls Abbreviation

Pls, as in, or as if someone would reply to this comment with "Choke, pls," would mean "Choke, please," with purpose to add an arrogant-like sarcastic feeling - therefore - to mock.

Furthermore, it can be also used as "you don't say," abbreviation, but when you really get into it, it's only another filled with hate "word."

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/aw1ye

Thought is free because we make it ourselves. We can make up our own thoughts, even when there isn't an agent there to stimulate the mind. Thoughts don't have to have a purpose or a goal and we don't have to share our thoughts. They are 'free' monetarily and they are also free as in 'free-thinking.' Thoughts have no physical embodiment.

Abbreviation OriginalWord

Pls Please

LOL Laughing Out Loud

ICUP! I See You Pee!

OMG! Oh My Gosh!

I think it's short for "Please". Just as "lol" is a shortcut for laugh out loud.

It's not really a deliberate attempt at being ill-mannered, it's more of a typing short-cut.

http://www.wholesalesoccerjerseyser.com/

Here is an homage to some of our favorite retro jerseys that have ... LAWS ON THE COURT, NBA Edition: The Top 10 Best Retro NBA Jerseys.

Are you saying that question-askers are uncouth? And yes, "pls" means "please". Pls understand.

I'm sorry to tell you that this abbreviation means please. Politeness and decency... you are a funny person to think that most teens these days have either of these qualities. Alas, it is a new generation.