Why were Jews and gypsies locked up in concentration camps in WW2?

Were jews and gypsies generally of the same political persuasion, which opposed the Nazi party? I have read some of Mein Kampf, and all I can establish from that is that Hitler was good at obsfucation and political confusion. I understand from some stories that he spent a long time as a young child being... show more Were jews and gypsies generally of the same political persuasion, which opposed the Nazi party? I have read some of Mein Kampf, and all I can establish from that is that Hitler was good at obsfucation and political confusion. I understand from some stories that he spent a long time as a young child being persecuted by jews in Vienna, and this is where the motivation for the Nazi's political persecution arose.

Is the general idea to rid all opposition to the party in power by starving everyone to death?
Update: I know that the generally accepted viewpoint is that it was racist rather than political persecution. How do we know that race and politics are not in fact intertwined? I don't see how you can separate racism and political persecution. Indeed, this would make Government illegal (according to its own law) and... show more I know that the generally accepted viewpoint is that it was racist rather than political persecution. How do we know that race and politics are not in fact intertwined? I don't see how you can separate racism and political persecution. Indeed, this would make Government illegal (according to its own law) and liable to go to prison soon.