Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationMotorcycles · 1 decade ago

How is the Honda Rebel Motorcycle? I am thinking of buying a 2007 model and would appreciate any info.?

I am novice buying my first bike and I have some concerns. 1) I heard tall people may have trouble steering on this bike. (I am 6'2") 2) Pegs and heels often scrap on turns. 3) Front brakes lock.

Can you give me any insight into these concerns or any other information I could use in making the decition to buy a Rebel.

Thank you.

Favorite Answer

Being a novice, you may not want to dump a lot of money into your first bike. You'd probably be better off finding something that's in good running condition, but maybe not pristine in the cosmetic department. That way when/if you drop it while you're learning, you won't be sick over the thought of a few scratches and dents.

My first learner was a 1979 Suzuki GS750 L... ugly as could be... but had enough get-up-and-go with the inline-4 750 engine to keep up with the guys. Riding season is almost over now that cold weather is setting in, so you will probably be able to find some good deals on Ebay. I'd suggest waiting until you get some miles under your belt before you drop the money for a brand new bike.

At 6' 2" you're too big for this bike to be comfortable. Your knees will be hitting your elbows fairly often, especially in parking lot type turns and anything other than straight line travelling.

Comfort is the key to any motorcycle purchase. If you're not comfortable with the fit, you won't be concentrating on the operation of it.

We use Honda Rebels in our MSF Beginner Rider Class. They're great motorcycles, just a bit short on room for taller riders.

If it's a cc requirement you're trying to stay within, the Nighthawk 250 is a larger framed bike using the same engine as the Rebel, just styled differently. However, the Front Brake on this bike is less than desirable. It really needs a disc brake up front. Try the Kawasaki Ninja, it has disc brakes front and rear. A lively performer too. Kawasaki also makes a 250cc Vulcan (the Rebel equivalent) and it may be slightly larger.

With your size, you might consider stepping up to the 500cc bikes. They're larger framed while still being easy to handle and have plenty of power. The Suzuki GS500 and the Kawasaki Ninja 500 are 2 excellent bikes. Honda and Yamaha don't offer anything in this cc range.

If you're looking to stay with the Cruiser type bikes...you're going to have to go to the 500cc and 650cc to get something comfortable. Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki and Yamaha all offer bikes in this size and style. Hope this helps. If you haven't already...take an MSF course to learn to ride or, enhance your skills if you've already been riding. Most of all, wear your protective gear.

At 6'2", you will not be comfortable on a Rebel, and will look like you belong in a Shriner parade. The MSF uses Rebels and Nighthawk 250s for their rider safety courses, and though they're rideable they bent my 35" inseam up to my ears! Sign up RIGHT NOW for an MSF course and learn the right way to operate a motorcycle.

I have heard many cruiser people looking for their first bike like the Suzuki S40 or S50. Or you could look at a Honda Shadow, Kawasaki Vulcan 750 or even a dual sport bike.

I don't know about the front brakes locking, but I remember having a heck of a time stopping the Rebel I rode since drum brakes aren't very good. I know the price is tempting, but I would look for a slightly bigger bike if I were you.

I just got a Honda Rebel 250 for my first bike. I'm 5'4" tall and I feel as though the seat needs to be back more because my knees feel too high. If you are 6'2" you will feel very uncomfortable. Don't buy a new bike for your first bike. Get something used and then if you don't like it you haven't made a big investment. Go to a dealership and ask to sit on the bikes and decide what feels comfortable for you, height wise and the weight of the bike.

I have never heard of Rebels having the trouble you mention. Any bike will drag the peg if agressively ridden. The front brake will only lock if you apply it improperly.

Your concern about the Rebel being the wrong bike for a man of your height is justified. Its not so much a matter of steering as the bike just being too small for comfort.

• Newt

To your concerns 1) Yes, you would have trouble being 6-2. 2) They are low to the ground - designed that way for beginners. A good way however to learn turning speeds and radius. 3) A sign of good brakes. The bike being so light, brakes will lock up quicker than on a heavier one.

I would consider a 650 to start. Still a bit smaller than their bigger brothers but enough power and size to learn from. Being 6 foot, I found the Suzuki 650 Savage (Now C40) to be a nice size. And only about a grand more than the Rebel. Plus with a 650 or larger, you won't grow out of it as soon.

Source(s): The Mind of Newt
  • Pops

The Rebel is a very small bike. I would think you are two large to enjoy it. The Honda Shadow is better but I found the seat is too short, front to back, for me. Otherwise it was ok. I believe they come in different engine sizes.

Acutally, I would recommend, IF you are fairly strong, to buy a used Honda Gold Wing. They are heavy and ride great. I had a 91 that weighed 645 lbs and then a 97 GL-1500 that weighed in at 805 lbs. Thats a lot of weight and few people can pick one up IF it falls over. Good Luck. Pops

Source(s): Experience
  • bferg

I agree with the people saying to get the Suzuki S40 (or older Savage). It's a good bike that you won't be nearly as cramped on, and has good power for a 650 single. Also, the belt drive is quieter and needs a LOT less maintenance than a chain driven bike. It also has forward controls so than your knees aren't hitting your elbows when you turn.

Source(s): Personal experience having a friend go from a Honda 185 twin to a Savage this Summer.

do not buy it new!!! i had a 250 rebel for my first bike and was ready to move up within a week! may i suggest a Magna or a Shadow if you want new but i highly suggest buying used for your first bike just in case you dump it:) yes you are to tall it will be very uncomfortable! i have a magna v45 (it's a 700) and im only 5'3. it comfortable for me. ride safe and good luck with you decision:)

Another good bike in this class is the Yamaha Virago. Many people grow out of these bikes very quickly though.