Why is it so hard to get a mortgage as a self-employed person?

I recently applied for a loan on "Lending Tree" and was denied a loan from any bank. Despite the fact that I have a 740+ FICO and have been gainfully self-employed for 7 years, not to mention I have taken over the business of the shop for the last 2 years. I have a small debt and have paid 1/3 of a... show more I recently applied for a loan on "Lending Tree" and was denied a loan from any bank. Despite the fact that I have a 740+ FICO and
have been gainfully self-employed for 7 years, not to mention I have taken over the business of the shop for the last 2 years.

I have a small debt and have paid 1/3 of a car loan, other then that I still at least 1500 dollars left available to apply towords a mortgage payment?

What gives, this is discrimination against the self-employed !
Update: If your employed you can lose your job just like someone who is self-employed? What makes then safer bets?