Windshield Wiper Issue?

For some reason, my passenger side windshield wiper has stopped, but the drivers side one works perfectly fine. When I try to google this question, I get no responses really. Im thinking its the wiper motor, but why would only one of the wipers stop if thats the case? Any help would be great, thanks

The car is a 2003 Hyundai Elantra. Thanks for all the help everyone

Favorite Answer

The wiper arm maybe louse some cars have a nut that holds the wiper arm tritely against the splines that are on the wiper transmission if you shut your wipers off they will park themselves at the bottom of your windshield .You may need to move the one to the park poison and remove the cover at the base of the wiper arm that hides the nut. If that is not the problem the linkage came apart that goes to the motor you will need to remove both wiper arms and several screws and or clips to remove the cowl that hides the linkage

Source(s): auto tech 10+ years
  • glen

The wiper motor is working. If the linkage is not working, you only hear the sound of the wiper motor. If the wiper motor is not working, check the fuse first, then the wiper motor. Wiper motor should last the life of the car.

I modify my wipers before, so that it can accomodate a bigger size on the driver side. I did some experiments and it work. I had the same when I did my experiments with my wiper. The reason is I am trying to set the wiper arms that I forgot to screw the nuts on.

Your passenger side nut is loose. You have to screw it tight. Some cars you have to open the cover to exposed the nut. If you see a sign on the hole below the wiper arm when you removed it, that is worm out, then you have to replaced the wiper arm.

Source(s): Do-It-Yourself mechanic Honda Civic Enthusiast

The model of car would help. but most wipers systems have a transmission that is designed to break if it gets into a bind. you may have broken the passenger side linkage. also, as said before where the connection comes through the cowl and the arm goes on, some vehicles have a nut that tightens the arm assemble down, this nut may have come loose. if it did take the nut off, remove the wiper arm and make sure that the splines in the wiper arm and on the trans assembly arent damaged. you can also check and see if the transmission assembly is damaged by removing the wiper arm and turning the wipers on and seeing if moves............hope this helps

It's not the wiper motor. There's only one motor and so if one wiper works the motor is fine. There is a fairly simple mechanical linkage between the two wipers, and some part of that has broken. This should be a cheap and easy fix, so don't let your mechanic rip you off. If you're really brave, it's the sort of thing you can take care of with basic tools and a trip to your local junkyard. Good luck with it and let us know how you get on.

It is probably the linkage. Also, some cars have a type of fastener mechanism that if the wiper jams the connecting bolt will loosen. All you have to do is re-tighten the wiper arm fastener.

Yes, the make of car would be good info. As an example, Subarus attach the arm to the pivot shaft with a nut to hold it down. The only problem is, the shaft isn't splined, so if the nut comes loose the arm doesn't move when the shaft spins.

Ingenius, huh?

Source(s): Subaru owner

I would check the wiper arm where it conects to the car. Look for a 13mm nut and see if it is loose. If it is then tighten it.

its probably the arm that goes from the motor to the wiper.

one of the arms fell off