Is Santa Claus Real?

December 21, 2006 - Posted at 10:20 a.m.

Francis P. Church

This classic was written in 1897 by Francis P. Church, the editor of the now-defunct New York Sun. He wrote in response to the following letter:

“Dear Editor: I am 8 years old. Some of my little friends say there is no Santa Claus. Papa says, ‘If you see it in the Sun, it’s so.’ Please tell me the truth. Is there a Santa Claus?”

“Dear Virginia:

“Your little friends are wrong. They have been affected by the skepticism of a skeptical age.

“They do not believe except what they see. They think that nothing can be which is not comprehensible by their little minds. All minds, Virginia, whether they be men’s or children’s, are little.

“In this great universe of ours, man is a mere insect, an ant, in his intellect, as compared with the boundless world about him, as measured by the intelligence capable of gasping the whole of truth and knowledge.

“Yes, Virginia, there is a Santa Claus. He exists as certainly as love and generosity and devotion exist, and you know that they abound and give to your life its highest beauty and joy. Alas! How dreary would be the world if there were no Santa Claus.

There would be no childlike faith then, no poetry, no romance to make tolerable this existence. We should have no enjoyment, except in sense and sight. The external light with which childhood fills the world would be extinguished.

Not believe in Santa Claus! You might as well not believe in fairies. You might get your papa to hire men to watch in all the chimneys on Christmas Eve to catch Santa Claus, but even if you did not see Santa Claus coming down, what would that prove? Nobody sees Santa Claus, but that is no sign that there is no Santa Claus.

“The most real things in the world are those that neither children nor men can see. Did you ever see fairies dancing on the lawn? Of course not, but that’s no proof that they are not there. Nobody can conceive or imagine all the wonders there are unseen and unseeable in this world.

“You tear apart the baby’s rattle to see what makes the noise inside, but there is a veil covering the unseen world which not the strongest man, nor even the united strength of all the strongest men that ever lived, could tear apart.

“Only faith, poetry, love, romance can push aside that curtain and view and picture the supernal beauty and glory beyond. Is it all real? Ah, Virginia, in all this world there is nothing else real and abiding.

“No Santa Claus? Thank God he lives, and lives forever. A thousand years from now, Virginia, nay 10 times 10,000 years from now, he will continue to make glad the heart of childhood.”

—Francis P. Church

Santa is very real. Who or what could bring this much cheer to a normally dismal world? Its just too bad that Christmas couldn't be all year long. For the most part more people are willing to do things for others during this time. There are some that don't believe but the majority have a strong belief in Christmas and Santa.

As real as the 7 dwafts

Personally I can't say that he is. I mean I believe he was a good man who delivered presents to kids but then died. May he rest in peace.

• Paul R

Ho Ho Ho Merry Christmas My Child!

Yes yEs yeS YES He Exists, He Is Real!

Again??? Yes I Belive

He is the magic and spirit of Christmas.

He has to be! Otherwise I won't get anything for Christmas this year!

Yes YeS YES yes Yes yeS yEs

• Tweet

You betcha!