New Computer & File Transferring?

A question for you IT Support folks. I am attempting to transfer files from my old PC to my new PC. Both PC's are desktops. Windows XP has instructions but it involves using a Serial cable between the two PC's. My old PC has an available serial connector. My new PC does not. It only has USB... show more A question for you IT Support folks.

I am attempting to transfer files from my old PC to my new PC. Both PC's are desktops.

Windows XP has instructions but it involves using a Serial cable between the two PC's.

My old PC has an available serial connector. My new PC does not. It only has USB ports and a 10/100 NIC connector.

My Question: Can files be transferred from the old PC to the new PC using a Cat 5 cable between the two NIC connectors?

If so do I simply use the XP wizard and proceed using the Cat 5 cable as if it were a Serial cable?

Your Help is greatly appreciated.
Update: I am only trying to copy over my personal files and all my music.
Update 2: Thanks to all for your help. I asked a few other folks and finally opted for copying my files (5+ Gig) to CD and brought them over that way. It took about 2 hours and I didn't have to purchase cables, etc. Thanks again!!