Well, let's see if I can confuse the issue a bit more. . .
First, let's look at what we find concering the events right after the big bang.
From "Stephen Hawkin's Universe"
It all begins with a dramatic Big Bang explosion producing nothing but searing hot energy at first. This energy somehow develops slight variations in its texture as it spreads outward and starts to cool. This allows for slightly hotter spots where, within the first second after the Big Bang, energy starts converting into particles and antiparticles; and slightly cooler spots which are destined to become the first voids in space. Most of the particles and antiparticles start to be drawn close enough together by gravity for what is known as the electromagnetic force to make them combine; and most of the antimatter is lost in annihilations, leaving only matter swirling in growing irregular clumps. Until three minutes after the Big Bang, it is still too hot for these subatomic particles to build anything together; but then some of them start to bind into what will become the nuclei of atoms. It takes 300,000 years for things to cool down enough for electrons to couple with these nuclei to form the first atoms. By then about 20 percent of the nuclei are the heavier type found in helium; the other 80 percent are used to create hydrogen. All the other known chemical elements will evolve much later on.
Now, from what we have here, for the first few seconds, there was nothing but extreme energy (heat), and a lot of it. the tempertures were so high that matter could not exist. It was not until later that the elements began to form from the heat.
In 1948, George Gamow and his student Ralph Alpher, argued that the afterglow of the intense heat which created these elements would not have completely disappeared, even after billions of years.
They said that the radiation form this heat shoud still exist, and since the big bang expanded in all direactions, it should be everywhere!
So, they, and a team from Princeton, began surching for it, but, in 1960, they got a call from Bell Labs. It seems that they were picking up microwave interfearece and they couldn't find out why, so they thought that the scientist at princeton might help.
It truned oout that the radiation that Bell labs had discover was the very radiation they were seeking.
An interesting, but true story.