Word Processing?

Does anyone know where I can find a listing of "key switches" that will allow you to put various symbols etc. into documents using most any of the various word processing programs. For example: If you press Alt + 0176 it will put a degree (°) symbol in your text. e.g. 142° I'm interested in... show more Does anyone know where I can find a listing of "key switches" that will allow you to put various symbols etc. into documents using most any of the various word processing programs.

For example: If you press Alt + 0176 it will put a degree (°) symbol in your text. e.g. 142°

I'm interested in a list that will identify many/most/all of the various key combinations that there are for any of the word processing programs.

Thanks for your help.
Update: I am already familiar with using the "Insert > Symbol" feature in Microsoft Word.