Philippines! (Not Thailand, Malaysia or Indonesia)
1. Philippines has 7,107 islands to explore, and 60% of that has not even named!
2. The Philippines can boast of the beauty of its' people, who are of mixed Asian, Pacific Islander, and Spanish stocks. A lot of them, particularly in the capital city of Manila, really look Hispanic. The Philippines also has Asia's largest Eurasian and Amerasian population, and has the largest American population outside of the U.S.
3. The Philippines is now out of the 'Third World' category - it is now classified as one of the Tiger economies of Asia and as such, have magnificent infrastructures, highways, and roads.
4. Manila has been cited by MOST tourists as being way more nicer, cooler, urban , and Western than Bangkok, Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, and Jakarta (Read Yahoo!Travel), and is pegged at par with Hong Kong and Seoul. It has a status of a First World city (even beating all the aforementioned cities, except Hong Kong and Seoul).
5. The Philippines has the third, fifth, and sixth largest malls in the world, selling top European and American brands from Louis Vuitton to Debenhams and the like. Observers say that Manila beats both Dubai and Hong Kong for availability of goods and the prices.
6. The beaches and diving spots of the Philippines are rated as the best in the world, even beating Thailand, Indonesia, and Malaysia. (If you don't believe me, just read the reactions at Yahoo! Travel)
6. Almost all Filipinos in the Philippines (and everyone in Manila) speaks English, as they are taught in English from primary education onwards. English, simply put, is universal in the Philippines, which is the third largest English-speaking country in the world. The local language, Tagalog, is so influenced by Spanish that Spanish speakers can somewhat understand what the locals are saying.
7. You will not experience culture shock at all, because Filipino culture itself is heavily Americanized and Europeanized. Just as in America, there are lots of iPod-toting students, frappuccino-drinking yuppies, and PS3 kid addicts in the Philippines. Also, practically 95% of the Philippines is Christian, so you won't experience any difficulty whatsoever with regards to culture.Another thing, Filipinos really admire Caucasians, as most Filipino actors, actresses, and models are part-Caucasian, so you will be treated extremely well. Philippines is well versed with the tastes of Westerners as the Philippines was a Western colony for over 400 years.
7. The Philippines has all the beauty of the world packaged into one neat country:
New Zealand hills? - Go to the Batangas foothills
Tibet mountains and serenity? - Go to the Cordillera mountains
Sahara desert? - Go to Laoag sand dunes
Ibiza or Gibraltar? - Go to Punta Fuego
Swiss Alps or Austrian alps? - Go to Tagaytay Highlands, Bulusan Volcano
Mount Fuji? - Go to Mount Mayon
Bali, Phuket, or Ko Phi Phi? - The Philippines has Boracay, w/c is way more nicer!
Myriad of archipelagos? - Go to the Visayan archipelago
China, Singapore, or Taiwan? - Go to Chinatown of Manila.
India? - Go to Paco, Manila, which has a little Indiatown
Korea? - Go to Paranaque City which has a small Koreatown.
Swedish fjords? - Go to Lake Caliraya
Venice? - Sitangkai in Sulu islands has it - the entire community in stilts.
Polynesia? - Visayan islands and the Sulu archipelago
Diving spots? - Palawan's the world's best!
Cameron Highlands of Malaysia? - Go to Baguio City!
Egyptian Pyramid Caves? - Go to Cagayan Caves and Palawan Subterranean Cave
Waterfalls? - Pagsanjan Falls, Dranak Falls, and thousand more falls in the Philippines!
New York City urbanity? - Go to Makati City (esp. in the CBD, Rockwell, and the Fort)
European cities in the 17th century? - Go to Intramuros in Manila!
Tokyo urbanity? - Go to Ortigas Center in Pasig City
Canberra urbanity? - Go to Quezon City
Hong Kong, Dubai, or Singapore malls? - It's better here in the Philippines!
Not only that, parties, Christmas celebrations, New Year festivities,discos, and pubs in Asia are definitely the hottest here in the Philippines, which is the bastion of performing arts, music, beauty, shopping, spectacular sceneries, and the Christian religion in all of Asia. It blends Asian, Latin, and American (U.S) charm into one splendor culture
.... and these are even less than 0.1% of all the vast landscapes, sceneries, beahces, wild parties, peoples, and sounds you will encounter in the Philippines. For that, I definitely recommend the Philippines as the best choice over the other two.
P.S. Happy trip to the Philippines!! :)
· 1 decade ago