spamming - sending mass emails to prospective customers, can I get sued?
lets say I do a mass mailing to potential customers, is that considered spamming and illegal? can I get sued?
- imisidroLv 71 decade agoFavourite answer
Sending unsolicited emails is frowned upon. You can:
- irritate potential customers and instead drive them away from your business
- your ISP account can be terminated if recipients complain to your ISP
- if you have a website, your website can be shut down by your web host if you are spamming
- and yes, in extreme cases, you can be sued
Here are cases where the spammer is sued, and even the Federal Trade Commission gets into the action (first link)
- zippythejessiLv 71 decade ago
If it is an unsolicited email (meaning they didn't sign up for anything at your website or other way) then it is considered spam, and in some cases, illegal and you can be sued - depending on the contents of the email.
- Anonymous1 decade ago
there is a possibility... if telemarketers can get sued.... then there's a risk.
i wouldn't count on it.. more likely you'll be filtered... or if you have a business # you may get calls to stop.
if you don't then the risk is increased.