How many containers fall off ships each year?

I want to know how many fall off compared with how many are shipped each year. i.e. what is the chance of it happening

From the link below:

"At any given time, between 5 million and 6 million boxes are in transit. The TT Club calculates that the total number lost over the side is probably less than 2,000 per year. This means that less than 0.005% of the containers shipped each year end afloat in the ocean. Most dry cargo containers are steel boxes weighing between two tonnes and four tonnes, and are constructed to be weather-proof, rather than watertight. If empty they sink as a result of water ingress. If full, they may float for a while: air trapped in the cargo may hold a box on the surface until the cargo becomes waterlogged."

the International Maritime Organization ( www.imo.org) has a higher number of about 5,000........

Source(s): www.veromarine.co.nz/dirvz/marine/marine.nsf/Content/PhotoFeature0007 - 36k - with a cool sequence of containers going over in a storm

I don't know that you can get an answer to this question because the container shipping industry doesn't usually want to give those figures out... but I would have to guess it's several hundred on a worldwide basis.

I saw a cargo ship ram into a cruise ship. Interesting. 7 containers fell to the bow of the cruise ship. But it was cold and early; no passengers were hurt.

It was reported this week in the paper, that thousands fall off every year.