What exactly is a "right to hire and fire" state?

If you are a christian business why can't you find out if prospective employees are christians

I am coming from the view point of "The Shepards Guide" where that is a phone book for "christian" businesses so if I call them I would expect to be assisted by Christians...

Favorite Answer

You can't because it's against the Fair employment act. And, though I'm a Christian, it SHOULD be. If you can discriminate against hiring people who are not Christians, non Christians can discriminate against ME. Now I was military. This is one of of those rights I'd fight and die for. To have a country free from discrimination when it comes to the basic need to support your family.

This country is built on the back of EVERYONE. Everyone pays taxes. Everyone has themselves and/or families to support. People should be hired based off need and skill. That's it. If you know a friend from church who is looking for a job, that's fine. But it is ILLEGAL to ask what their religion is during the interview regardless of what state you live in. And, it should be.

Edit: To answer your update.

You won't find a Christian temp agency because it would be illegal to open one, because the very use of one would be a violation of the Fair Employment act, and Equal Opportunity laws. There are certain jobs that require ordination, which not only requires for you to be ordained but registered with the Government. This is what allows certain positions to be reserved by the church. Other Church employees, such as music director and such are appointments through the church by the ordained. But for a business there are no such allowances.

It doesn't matter what way you go about it. I'm saying this as a favor to you, it's illegal. To purposely set out to not hire others because they are not Christians is a federal offense. If you want to post openings in your church bulletin go right a head, but to publicly announce you are looking for "Christian help"..

My friend, it can get you put in jail. If anyone you didn't hire were to connect this very internet conversation to you they could sue you, and they would win, and you could face jail time.

End Editt

Also, Right to work states don't have a lot of rules about firing people. Because of this it's hard to take companies from such states to court for being fired wrongfully. Many companies seek out such sates because of this. But, these states are still held to federal law, and contrary to popular belief they CAN be taken to court for wrongfully firing an employee. But, you better have a rock solid case.

Florida is a right to Hire and Fire State ,You can be fired for absolutely no reason at all , I am a Christian Business but I don't only hire Christians, I will fire some one for having a foul mouth are if they smell like alcohol and just cant handle the Job

If you allow people to descriminate against someone for being a different religion then you can take that farther and descriminate against black people, chinese people, large people, short people, etc etc. Now, obviously, only a christian can apply to be a christian preacher etc etc but the receptionist at the church should be an equal opportunity position.

In relation to your question - I was auditing a church and reading through the board minutes when I came across a sectionh where the board wanted to limit the amount of hours their receptionist could work because she was a single mother (thankfully their lawyer told them that would be illegal). However, what I couldn't understand was why they wouldn't pay her the same amount of money and give her the hours they thought were appropriate. Wouldn't that be the christian thing to do?

• ?

It is called "AT W ILL" when U sign UR emolument offer U

sign 4 it. It goes both ways, U can quit when ever U want.

2ND ? It is called Discrimination based on Religious.

Equal Opportunity Employment ( E. O . E)

I agree with E. O . E . But if U insist UR solution is a very

simple : why do advertise 4 it (looking 4 christian) ?

U can hire who ever U want?!

Regards.

"right to artwork" prohibits necessary union club. it rather is, you may get a job with out being a member of a union and could't be compelled to connect the union. you could anticipate some solutions approximately being fired at any time, yet that honestly implies yet another doctrine, that employment contracts are presumed to be "at will."

I have an answer to your first question. but not the second one. A "fire and hire state" means that after the 90 day probation period, if you have not met the standards of the company, they have the right to fire you without any explanation.

It's illegal to discriminate in jobs based on religion.

However, I'm assuming most catholic churches hire catholics, jews hire jews, etc... Maybe a church has some exemptions, but a private business? Not likely.

Personally I'd rather hire an atheist.

That means that you can be terminated (or leave) at any time for any reason -- either with or without notice. "at will employment" (Unless you're working under an employment contract.)

Many companies aren't going to do that anyway. I work for an "at will employer" and they normally require progressive corrective action before terminating someone unless it's involving gross misconduct.

1. a state where unions are weak.

2. checking religion for a job is the most UnAmerican thing I have ever heard of.

who cares what i would want to know is how much money they could make me, isn't that why you are in business