Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationMotorcycles · 1 decade ago

Buying a starter motorcycle. Is a 1987 Honda Rebel 450 with 17,000 miles for $500 a good deal?

I know there are a lot of variables, but the bike is in good shape for 20 years old, no rust, new wires, and a new front end, bike was taken care of during winter months. I'm just not sure about the mileage, how many more miles can I expect to get out of it?

thank you all for your support, I bought the motorcycle, I couldnt imagine more for your support, the bike runs like a dream- again just wondering about the life span of the enigne and the transmission- I know I cant complain, a friend of mine owned the bike who sold it to me cheap so I could go riding with him after he bought the new honda shadow spirit this summer, I just needed some reassurence, your comments are still wanted ( I want to know what everyone thinks...), especially about its lifespan, just want to know what to expect- i had so much fun tonight- best 500 I ever spent so far, let me know what Im in for...

Favorite Answer

I've got an 86 Honda Shadow 500 with over 17K and it shows no signs of slowing down. A Honda well taken care of (garaged is best) will probably outlast your desire to ride it. And for $500 if you ride it every day for a summer (about 100 days) that is $5 a day - since the bike will get 50-60 MPG you will actually make money over a car which gets 20-30 mpg - basically paying for the bike. DA

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Source(s): buying starter motorcycle 1987 honda rebel 450 17 000 miles 500 good deal: https://biturl.im/UbJZO

I want that! It sounds like a good deal. Strange about the front end though - sounds like someone must have crashed. I'd take the deal anyway, but that's just me.

I got 56,000 miles out of my 1986 Honda Nighthawk 450 (which is the naked standard version of this motorcycle). Then, the next servicing would have cost more than the whole motorcycle was worth, and at that point I let it go -- I gave it to a backyard mechanic. He spruced it up, put new gaskets and piston rings on it, new tires, tuned it up, and sold it for $600. Who knows, the darn thing may still be on the road somewhere today.

1987 Honda Motorcycle

1987 Honda Rebel

Wow, it looks like you hit the mother load. As long as the bike starts, shifts, and rides well-GRAB IT!

One of the guys I work with had a Rebel 450, and he loved it(always talks about it). "35,000 and still ran great." He sold it when his kids were born.

I have no knowledge as to lifespan of a Honda motorcycles(I hope a long time), but a little T.L.C. and maintenance goes a long way with these bikes.

My Honda Reflex is closing in on 12,000 miles and still rides great.

Buy it!

Ride Safe

Additional 5-19-07

Congratulations on buying the Rebel.

You are going to love it and have fun riding it as well.

Even doing work on these bikes is fun.

If you need parts here is a great link.

Its a good choice as a starter bike. You can always sell it when you are ready to move up to a bigger ride. Mileage is a relative thing. People have put 100,000 miles on a bike or more if its well maintained. Brakes, Tires, Battery, lubrication all are important.

go through the owners manual carefully. You also may want to see if the local Vo-Tech offers a beginner motorcycle maintainance course

A Honda rebel or any 250cc cruiser for that matter would be a good choice for you; low seat Hightower and low weight means ease of use. If you can have your feet flat on the ground while sitting then the bike is ok

It's an absolute awful terrible mistake that could put you and your family at risk for decades to come....

Let me have the guy's name and number, so I can keep this terrible thing from happening to you....Okay?

Obviously this is a terrific deal, and those motors were designed in the sixties. They'll work well for a long time.

If you can fire it up and ride it to the store, right now, go for it.

Running 20 yr old Hondas are not a rarity. 17K is average mileage for about 2 years.