Turning an outdoors cat into an indoors cat?

I have two cats and moved into a new house about six months ago. I allow my cats to go outside as there is nothing but fields and countyside at the back of the house. They love that and often disappear for hours in the long grass!! Until recently they never ventured to the front of the house where there is a... show more I have two cats and moved into a new house about six months ago.

I allow my cats to go outside as there is nothing but fields and countyside at the back of the house. They love that and often disappear for hours in the long grass!!

Until recently they never ventured to the front of the house where there is a VERY busy main road. I know at least one of the cats has started running accross the road which is worrying me sick.

Obviously i'd very heartbroken if anything happened to either of my cats, and I have been seriously considering keeping them indoors.

The questions is that since they have got so used to coming and going as they please, will it be a difficult job training them to become indoor cats?

The other half seems to think it will be cruel to do this as they have been outdoors cats for a long time now. I however think it is cruel allowing them to be exposed to the danger of a busy road with the risk of being seriously hurt of even killed!