How many women out there are (or were) paying loser men alimony?

I live in Southern California. I am not rich. I am not a movie star. Is there a way to stop this nightmare??? I'm getting ripped off to the tune of about a grand a month. He may have been born with a penis and testicles but he is definitely NOT A MAN. Before we were married he was making a salary... show more I live in Southern California. I am not rich. I am not a movie star.

Is there a way to stop this nightmare??? I'm getting ripped off to the tune of about a grand a month. He may have been born with a penis and testicles but he is definitely NOT A MAN.

Before we were married he was making a salary equal to mine. About two years later, he was laid off and sat on his butt for the next six years. He has a college degree but claims he can't find a job.

I don't understand how the court is letting him get away with this. The divorce has been going on for over 3 years!!! We have two little girls. They have to endure going back and forth between mom and dad every other week. All he cares about is the child support money (another $1,500). I pay for everyone's medical, dental, vision. I have no money left to live on. I'm charging groceries and car insurance on my VISA every month. Is this fair?
Update: Whether male or female... if one is reasonably intelligent, physically able, has marketable job skills, prior work experience, education, etc. there is no reason why that person should not be self-sufficient and capable of earning their own "keep". Why would a grown man or woman expect someone else to... show more Whether male or female... if one is reasonably intelligent, physically able, has marketable job skills, prior work experience, education, etc. there is no reason why that person should not be self-sufficient and capable of earning their own "keep". Why would a grown man or woman expect someone else to give them money to pay their expenses? Are they a child? This is a 47 year old white male. He's lived on his own before, had American Express Gold cards, had a freelance graphic design business, worked for major corporations, bought cars... and now suddenly he is helpless?
Update 2: Why did I stay? I have alot of reasons. I was stupid and kept hoping he'd change. I believed him when he said he was depressed about losing his job and just needed some time. I came from a broken home and had no idea what a healthy marriage was supposed to be like. We had an 18 month old and I was pregnant... show more Why did I stay? I have alot of reasons. I was stupid and kept hoping he'd change. I believed him when he said he was depressed about losing his job and just needed some time. I came from a broken home and had no idea what a healthy marriage was supposed to be like. We had an 18 month old and I was pregnant with our second child. I didn't want them to grow up without their dad. I waited 3 years. That's when my daughters started understanding the verbal abuse coming from daddy toward mommy. The past 3 have been post separation. 3 + 3 = 6. And, no, there was no boy-toy on the side. I was never unfaithful. Never. The same can't be said for him. While I was at work and the kids were in preschool, hubby was at home "entertaining". He definitely wasn't cleaning house or cooking dinner or doing yardwork.