Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Beauty & StyleSkin & BodyTattoos · 1 decade ago

Can you take painkillers before you get a tattoo?

I heard that taking Aleve or Tylenol or something can cause excess bleeding.

Why not?...

it's recommended to not take any "painkillers" (especially ones that contain aspirin) because they can thin out your blood and can affect the way your skin reacts to the tattoo. painkillers can also affect the way ur tattoo heals, because they reduce blood clotting and will slow down the healing process. this can all affect the way ur skin retains the ink so i would say if u really want a tattoo then suck it up and deal with the pain. it's really not that bad i promise.

if you absolutely have to take something, you can try the recommended dosage of name brand tylenol BUT you should consult with ur tattoo artist first.

Painkillers Before Tattoo

Don't take aspirin. It impairs your ability to clot, so it can make you bleed more during the tattoo and the ink may migrate/blur once applied.

Acetominophen (Tylenol) is OK but won't do a whole lot for you in this situation. It's best for generalized pain like a headache or muscle soreness. I'd skip it.

I'm not sure about naproxen products like Aleve, but here's what works for me:

Ibuprofen (Advil) is the best choice because it's a painkiller and an anti-inflammatory. Because it helps reduce swelling, your tattooed skin will be less sensitive. I use Advil in combination with a topical lidocaine gel called Topicaine. Apply Topicaine to the area where you'll be getting tattooed about 30-45 minutes before your appointment to allow it to absorb into your skin. Your artist will need to wipe it off before starting the tattoo, but that's OK. Re-apply it between stages - like between the outline and the shading, shading and color - and wait about 5-10 minutes with the gel on before getting started again.

Source(s): http://www.topicaine.com. Personal experience - this stuff really works. Did the outline and shading without it and was in crying pain. Used it for the color application in the same area and felt only slight discomfort. The difference was amazing.

I have never heard of being able to take anything before a tattoo. If you really want a tat, you need to put up with the pain.. that's what makes getting a tattoo exciting. My first tattoo took 3 hours, it felt like someone was burning me with a lighter the whole 3 hours, but it looks awesome and worth the pain.

Some over the counter pain relivers thin your blood, just like alcohol. If you go and get a tattoo, your blood will be thinner and it will come out faster. Call the place you want to get tattooed. Ask them what they recommend. Some places have numbing cream or shots that you can take before the tattoo, but those cost extra.

I have always taken 4 Tylenol before a tattoo. I have 7. Aspirin thins the blood, so stay away from that. Also, painkillers like opiates are not a good idea. They can make you drowsy.

Yeah you need to be carefull of that, just deal with the pain, its really not all that bad. At least I dont think so. I have five tattoo's right now and by weeks end I will have two more.

One is a big one, its a set of stars and swirls that start under the left of my left breast and winds up my chest towards and onto my left shoulder, I'm not worried about the pain a bit. In fact I almost find it enjoyable. The second one is a custom drawn up pinup girl thats going on my half sleeve.

So.... if its worth it to you to get body art, you'll manage the little bit of pain that goes with it. It's all a part of the experience! =)

Source(s): tattooed and lovin my ink
  • Bess

I wouldn't take them. You wouldn't want to pass out since those are prescription strength. If you're worried about the pain of getting a tattoo, it's not that bad. It'll feel like a burn/sting... not pain.

Yes, but just to be safe maybe not Asprin.

But for what its worth, it won't make any difference if you are taking them to prevent the pain of getting a tattoo!

It is still going to tingle I'm afraid!!!!

Source(s): 4 tattoos, MM says no more!!!
  • rua_88

if your that worried about the pain talk to the artist the do have some new thing they came out with a few years back i think it like a numbing cream or somehting ... it is really not that bad or painful .. but no painkillers they bad .. make sure you eat before you go.