TayTay asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

theres a dog at the pound!?

there is a rat terrier at the pund who is so cute and has a great purrsanality and is so sweet!we took it home to see how it did with my dog and at first she growled then we told her know and she stoped .but my dog wouldnt let the pound dog smell her but the pound dog let my dog smell her!then they acted like they were best friends and more or less ignored each other,i dont know why!?i love her and my dog but they dont seem to like each other!do i get the dog and see if in time they like each other or do i just be happy with my dog?i know if i get her im saving her life cause she has been there for 6 days they ushualy keep them for 4 and the cages are getting full but i dont know if she will be ok with are fammily so if u know plz help me decide!?

wow someone needs spelling essons i couldnt understand ''eni'' of that lol

There is no reason why a rat terrier and Teddi shouldn't get along on general principle. The big question is how does the rat terrier behave. Is he hyper, submissive, aggressive toward dogs, but okay to you. It's really hard to judge by breed. Any dog can have hangups, or any dog can be very well behaved. Since Teddi is a low energy dog and likes to sit on your lap, he would probably prefer a dog that isn't too high energy and won't be aggressive. If you are fairly certain you want to adopt the dog, ask the folks at the pound if you can walk the terrier, or spend time with it alone look for any signs that would really bother Teddi. If all seems well, then ask for permission to bring in Teddi and introduce them. If they get along, then you get a wonderful addition to your little family. If not, then keep visiting the pound, and one day, the perfect dog will show up. I wish you luck.

if they are not fighting that is a good sign, my two dogs didn't seem to crazy about each other to start but now they play just fine it only took a couple of weeks, just make sure you give the other dog the same attention as the new so there is no jealousy. and if it don't work out in a month or so maybe you can find a good home for the new dog, and it will give a new shot at life. good luck and god bless.

• AT

Give the dogs a few days. if they are ignoring each other, there is a good chance that they will get along, or at least respect each other. I really recommend that you get some more information on Rat Terriers. Also talk to a behaviorist. If they do not work out, then take your dog with you the next time you pick out a puupy.

I think maybe you should take him because you will be saving his life then rather him being in the pound. Sooner or later your dog will get over it. You have to give them equally the same amount attention and play with them. They will soon get to know each other and realize they live together and are a family.

I would get her and try it out. Maybe they will learn to live with each other. If not you saved her from the pound and you could find her another home. Like a friend or someone so you can see her too.

They will be fine. Are they both altered? It should be fine. Even if a rat terrier has a mean streak, it is a small dog posing little danger to society. I would get it. They will become great friends.

Give them a month or two at least. Even then, one dog may be dominate over the other, but they can still be friends.

If they arent being aggressive, go for it! It may take a few days, or even a few months for dogs to become best friends.. they have to work out their pecking orders.

i would take her home. they weren't fighting so they might just be suspicious of each other. just make sure u give them each the same amount of attention bc one might feel left out n that might start some fighting!! hope it works out [=