Buddhist retreat...?

What happens at a Buddhist retreat?

Thanks all

x

Meditation, teachings, eat, sleep, repeat as necessary.

_()_

It depends where you are in the world as to what takes place in a temple on special occassions (births, deaths, opening a new shop, blessing a new car etc.) Meditation retreats were initially for pilgrims and have more and more become aimed at backpackers traveling through Asia to 'find themselves' (snigger!). Most practicing Buddhists would be aware of the work of the retreats but only attend one themselves maybe once in their lives for a few days only. A retreat concerns itself with the spiritual side of being, a temple has to also include the day to day physical needs of those living in the temple and surrounding area. It usually comes down to money and being passive participants to a lot of Pali chanting, which even the chanters hardly understand! Oh well....

There are different schools of Buddhism, and different retreat structures, but by and large ...

You do a great deal of meditation. Typically this is in alternating periods of sitting and walking meditations. And you're encouraged to make all your activities ... like your meals and your work chores ... into exercises of mindfulness. (The Japanese Tea ceremony, by the way, is based off of how Zen monks take their meals during retreats.)

And you will typically have meetings with teachers and/or advanced practitioners to discuss the experiences you are having. Otherwise, you will be encouraged to remain in silence as much as is feasible.

I once heard someone describe it as having a huge hand wrap around you (and everyone else on the retreat) and gently squeezing you into yourself and the truth of your life.

I've done a bunch of these. I HIGHLY recommend the experience.

.

Fore example, check this webpage about a 3 year retreat one of my friends is on now. It gives a pretty good picture.

http://drikung3yearretreat.com/

Efforts to search the truth which lies within one's self

"Budhdham Sharnam Gachchaami"

it means go to the shelter of Lord Budhdha's feet

meditation, breakfast, work period, meditation, lunch, meditation, work period, meditation, dinner, meditation, sleep.

If you get the chance, sleep in the actual temple/meditation area if there is a traditional temple on the property. Its a pretty cool experience.

Source(s): Zen Buddhist retreats I have attended.

Learning, peace, friendship, harmony, truth, kindness, tolerance. I might have forgotten a few.

Probably a lot of meditation and incense-burning.

• Petina

Sitting with their legs crossed, closed eyes, and humming.

we all sit around and contemplate the sound of hollow questions posed by drunk cicadas... simple, really... then we meditate on nothing...

Source(s): I am a Buddhist monk Luan Pa