Central Air Stopped working, Thermostat went blank?

Hey all, My central air stopped working completely this evening (its less than a year old). My thermostat went completely blank (it is not battery operated). I checked the fuse box and they weren't tripped. I checked the box (circuit box I think) by the AC unit and it didn't have any fuses. I cant even... show more Hey all,

My central air stopped working completely this evening (its less than a year old). My thermostat went completely blank (it is not battery operated). I checked the fuse box and they weren't tripped. I checked the box (circuit box I think) by the AC unit and it didn't have any fuses. I cant even get the fan to turn on in my house.

If I throw batteries into my thermostat then the thermostat will "act" like it is turning on by showing me a green light. When I go outside however, the unit is doing nothing.

What on earth could cause this. I need to fix this because it will be 98 tomorrow and I dont feel like frying!!!! Thanks
Update: The thermostat is hard wired but there was a spot for batteries. The thermostat worked with out batteries. When I took the cover off I saw the slots for the batteries so I placed them in there and the thermostat came back to life, but the AC still wont turn on. The thermostat show the AC unit is on, but when I go... show more The thermostat is hard wired but there was a spot for batteries. The thermostat worked with out batteries. When I took the cover off I saw the slots for the batteries so I placed them in there and the thermostat came back to life, but the AC still wont turn on. The thermostat show the AC unit is on, but when I go outside to check it out, the unit is completely dead.
Update 2: It ended up being water in the pan and it triggered a shut off. The guy told me that if it happens again to just shop vac the water out of the pan. Its nice to have my AC again :-) Thanks for all your help.