How do you know when a shy guy likes you?

The guy that I like isn't shy around his friends, but he's very quiet when he's around people that he's not that close with. Sometimes I catch him looking at me from the corner of my eye. I ran into him during class today, and I gave him a smile but he looked kinda nervous and walked away. How do I... show more The guy that I like isn't shy around his friends, but he's very quiet when he's around people that he's not that close with. Sometimes I catch him looking at me from the corner of my eye. I ran into him during class today, and I gave him a smile but he looked kinda nervous and walked away. How do I know if a shy guy likes me if he keeps on giving mixed signals?
Update: P.S. We're kinda opposites. I'm a bit preppy, and he's got a much darker side. Sometimes he seems really friendly, and other times he seems distant.
Update 2: I'm a shy person too, so there's no way that I'll be able to get the courage to ask him if he likes me. I AM nervous around him already, so I don't know...