Tiger !! Its my favourite animal.Here is some information and facts about bengal tiger.
Genus species: Panthera (panther, leopard) tigris (tiger)
Size: The size of a male tiger can range upto 3 m (10 ft.), female to 2.7 m (9 ft.)
Weight: The weight of a male can be upto 225 kg (500 lb.), female to 135 kg (300 lb.); largest existing member of the cat family
Description: The Bengal tiger has a magnificent appearance. The coat colour of this wildcat is reddish orange with narrow black, gray or brown stripes, generally in a vertical direction. The underside is creamy or white; a rare variant has a chalky white coat with darker stripes and icy blue eyes that will freeze you with fear!
Life span: On an average Bengal tigers survive probably not more than 15 years in the wild; 16 to 18 years in captivation environments
Sexual maturity: Females achieve sexual maturity at 3 to 4 years whereas males achieve the same at the age of 4 to 5 years.
Gestation: 98 to 110 days; 2 to 4 cubs born
Habitat: Bengal tigers dwell in tropical jungles, brush, marsh lands, and tall grasslands in fragmented areas of Bangladesh, Nepal, India, Bhutan, and Burma.
Diet: Bengal tigers hunt medium to large prey such as pigs, deer, antelopes, and buffalo
Status: It is listed by USFWS as endangered and protected by CITES
!!! FACTS WHICH YOU WANT !!!!
-Since tigers hunt mostly at dusk and dawn their stripes help them hide in the shadows of tall grasses. They stalk and pounce because they are not able to chase prey a long distance.
- The territorial male tiger usually travels alone, marking his boundaries with urine, droppings, and scratch marks to warn off trespassers.
- A tiger can consume as much as 40 kg (88 lb.) of meat in one feeding.
- Tigers may drag their prey to water to eat. They are commonly seen in the shade or wading in pools to cool off.
- Since white tigers have pigmented stripes and blue eyes, they are not albinos.
- It is estimated that there are less than 3,000 Bengal tigers left in the wild.
HERE ARE SOME PICS !!
· 1 decade ago