garik
garik asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 1 decade ago

Do you consider "spicy" to mean the same as "hot" (in terms of taste)?

OK, so "hot" obviously has another meaning (the opposite of cold). Please ignore this meaning! I'm asking if spicy food can always be described as hot.

Silverstar, you'd use "chilly" to mean hot? That's really unusual!

Favorite Answer

Many people describe "spicy" food as "hot"; personally I make a distinction but most people I know don't.

I think silverstar was referring to chili.

I associate hot with strong spices, like cinnamon and cayenne.

I associate spicy with over the top flavor, like chili. Hot is the mouth sensation, to me. Spicy is a taste.

Hot and Spicy is the phrase, Hot means Hot, served at high temperature, opposite of Frozen, spicy means use of spices to modify the taste, originates in cultures where meat past its sell by date was habitually cnsumed and needed spices to disguise the taste.

I like my food plain. Spicy means avoid in my book.

No, Spicy means somthing that is seasoned with or contains a spice or the characteristics of a spice...

Spicy food doesn't have to be hot, it can contain a lot of aromas and tatses of the spices without being hot...

Spicy food is NOT always hot. Hot and spicy are too different things, although they often go hand-in-hand.

• Acai

I think of spicy as being tangy and flavoursome, maybe a bit hot. But hot is I suppose extremely spicy so that it burns (but not temperature burning, if you see what I mean!)

• Humza

yes i would say spicy chilly or hot and use them as the same meaning

no.. I think spicy is something with spices in that could be mild like coronation chicken for example, Hot is like a madras or vindaloo lol

• Dory

No they are different. You can have a spicy curry without it being hot.

I'd say it's different. Spicy can mean tangy as well, it has a "bite" to it.

Hot is where it's just plain hot!