does being a christian mean that you cant celebrate halloween?

Some of my friends say that halloween means worshipping satan. But halloween is a South American holiday...why should it be about worshipping satan? SA doesnt have such a religion....

I'm a christian...does it mean i cant celebrate halloween???

Oh dear, this will really get me in trouble, but for your sake I will try to explain.

Halloween is, indeed, 'All Hallows Eve' and, as such, is to do with the saints who have died in Christ and will be resurrected when he comes.

However, Halloween is also part of the witches' festivals, which happen every year around the solstices and equinoxes. Which came first, I do not know, but I suspect that the Church wanted to 'christianise' what was a pagan festival.

By celebrating Halloween, which side do you think a casual observer will think you are on? Does witches hats and broomsticks, ghoulish faces and costumes and 'trick-a-treating', etc., and generally looking like 'the undead' strike you in any way as wholesome?

As Christians, we are supposed to identify with Christ and line up with how he feels about things, but if you take part in Halloween, which side do you think you are lining up with? Why not take a vote on it : God or satan, Christianity or witchcraft?

Does making little kids look gruesome, running round the streets threating to throw eggs or flour bags at your door, etc., if you don't give a 'treat' have any relation to Christ? Is it not more worthy of 'the other side'? How can you be so deceived?

I grant you, there is a lot of fun to be had when these 'celebrations' are properly organised and everybody likes to dress up but, as a Christian, I prefer to keep out of it and I warn people that this is not as harmless as it seems.

As the Conservatives in England once said about their policies and those of the Labour, there was the need to put 'a lot of blue water' between the two. Otherwise, people could be excused not knowing the difference.

Some historical context of Halloween did lend more to support and celebration of the occult and pagan activities. If you're a Christian, you probably aren't looking to celebrate those things, but if you have the motivation to put on a costume, have some fun, snack on some candy or attend a party with friends, then I think you can celebrate with positive motives.

Your attitude toward how you want to celebrate is rather what's important. There are some nut-cases out there that will do some bad (& stupid) things. Keep it fun and safe. I know many churches will have "alternative" style parties as well and focus on still having fun around costumes, candy, snacks and the like.

You can still be a christian and celebrate Halloween as long as your not worshiping Satan. I am also a christian and I take my kids out trick or treating. But that is the extent of it. I don't decorate or anything like that.

The church borrowed a lot of holidays from the pagans. Halloween is actually the holiday's Christian name. It means "All Hallows Eve" the night before All Saints Day. The Irish never really let go the Celtic holiday it was supposed to replace (Samhain) and brought it to the U.S. The South American holiday you are thinking of is the "Day of the Dead".

• Ellen

Not true. Many Christians celebrate Halloween.

well yes but i never see the reason behind it. halloween does not mean worshipping satan. it's a kids hoilday. there's nothing dark about it. if you want to celebrate halloween then go ahead! no one can stop you doing it. i know loads of chirstans kids and they all love going trick or treating.

Source(s): me

i don't think so. i'm catholic an d i love halloween. halloween has become a nonreligious holiday. like easter to some people. it's just a day to dress up and have fun and load up on candy. if you still feel a bit guilty, be an angel or something totally cute and innocent. like a baby or cheese

Halloween has many meanings , it depends on how you celebrate and what you celebrate, so if you put God first what do you have to worry . Look it up and see how it got changed from one thing to another .

what most Christan don't know is that all holidays have a pagan background even Christmas and Easter. what Halloween is based on kids scaring away evil spirits from your home by showing up in evil costumes and you gave them food to make them want to show up.

as a Christan isnt that what you are trying to do on a daily basis

Halloween is to you whatever you want it to be. Being a Christian means you get to express what you believe in and dress up accordingly. Your friends do not dictate how you live your own life. If they think it is evil then they should refrain and you should not think any less of them but their own lack of creativity in expression will hinder them in many ways.