how long is a life span of laptop battery?

I would like to ask how long the laptop battery lasts before a replacement under 2~3 hours normal use.

I read 12~16 months somewhere. Is this about the right life span? I think if you have to replace your battery that often with the price range of $200 ~$300 a little bit expensive....

The battery of my Laptop Vaio, VGN-FE570G is now almost giving up after 16 months. After the full charge, it only lasts 10 minutes, which used to be at least 90 minutes. I know I have to buy an another one, but I just wonder I have to do so for every 16 months? Or extended battery life span is longer than the standard one? I also own Vaio VGN-UX 280P. Is the battery life almost the same?

I will be very appreciated for your answer.

Thank you.

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Varies according to usage.

Here's a great utility to test and tell you the condition.

http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail/Battery_Eater...

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Most of the time the battery will give you a warning when its about to stop working. On most laptops that run windows, a little window in the lower right pops up and says something to the effect of: "Your Battery is in critical condition and you should get a new one at blah blah blah" usually a link to Dell.com or whatever company supplies the laptop (VIAO in your case). if i were you i'd keep truckin' until it give you that warning. From my experience a battery usually lasts about 16-18 months, and after that it will start to give you the warning window i mentioned. once that happens you still have a couple months to get a new battery so they can actually last about 2 years.

Source(s): Experience, lots of it.
  • 1 decade ago

this is almost same for every notebook. But however following some simple guidelines, you can extend the battery life. Chargefully and use without the mains supply connected, until <20% then charge.

If you always connect the power it reduces the battery life as

it never gets to discharge fully, but it is tedious.

• Erika
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

I accept as true with Kenn N. The battery should be exercised by using being run down & then recharged, preserving in a relentless state of being charged will develope a "reminiscence"; f'rinstance, in case you recharge a battery while it fairly is in basic terms discharged 10%, finally it fairly is going to in basic terms settle for a 10% fee. some laptops, certainly maximum, as far as I bear in mind, might nicely be run on mains devoid of the battery in - that's the respond for means-hungry apps like video games & streaming video. i could seem for a clean battery, provide it an entire fee and in destiny in basic terms use it while out & approximately. and then run it precise down in the previous recharging.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Tip: I always remove the battery when I hook my notebook up to the AC adapter.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.