how long is a life span of laptop battery?

I would like to ask how long the laptop battery lasts before a replacement under 2~3 hours normal use.

I read 12~16 months somewhere. Is this about the right life span? I think if you have to replace your battery that often with the price range of $200 ~$300 a little bit expensive....

The battery of my Laptop Vaio, VGN-FE570G is now almost giving up after 16 months. After the full charge, it only lasts 10 minutes, which used to be at least 90 minutes. I know I have to buy an another one, but I just wonder I have to do so for every 16 months? Or extended battery life span is longer than the standard one? I also own Vaio VGN-UX 280P. Is the battery life almost the same?

I will be very appreciated for your answer.

Thank you.

Favorite Answer

Varies according to usage.

Here's a great utility to test and tell you the condition.

http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail/Battery_Eater...

Most of the time the battery will give you a warning when its about to stop working. On most laptops that run windows, a little window in the lower right pops up and says something to the effect of: "Your Battery is in critical condition and you should get a new one at blah blah blah" usually a link to Dell.com or whatever company supplies the laptop (VIAO in your case). if i were you i'd keep truckin' until it give you that warning. From my experience a battery usually lasts about 16-18 months, and after that it will start to give you the warning window i mentioned. once that happens you still have a couple months to get a new battery so they can actually last about 2 years.

Source(s): Experience, lots of it.

this is almost same for every notebook. But however following some simple guidelines, you can extend the battery life. Chargefully and use without the mains supply connected, until <20% then charge.

If you always connect the power it reduces the battery life as

it never gets to discharge fully, but it is tedious.

• Erika

I accept as true with Kenn N. The battery should be exercised by using being run down & then recharged, preserving in a relentless state of being charged will develope a "reminiscence"; f'rinstance, in case you recharge a battery while it fairly is in basic terms discharged 10%, finally it fairly is going to in basic terms settle for a 10% fee. some laptops, certainly maximum, as far as I bear in mind, might nicely be run on mains devoid of the battery in - that's the respond for means-hungry apps like video games & streaming video. i could seem for a clean battery, provide it an entire fee and in destiny in basic terms use it while out & approximately. and then run it precise down in the previous recharging.

Tip: I always remove the battery when I hook my notebook up to the AC adapter.