Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureMythology & Folklore · 1 decade ago

In greek mythology how many gods are there?

and what are there powers? also where could I read more on this topic either a website or book?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Twelve Olympians in Greek religion, were the principal gods of the Greek pantheon, residing atop Mount Olympus.

- Zeus, King of the Gods, Ruler of Heaven. God of Thunder, Lightning, the Sky, Oaths

- Hera, Queen of Heaven, Goddess of Women, Marriage and Plenty

- Poseidon, God of the Ocean and Earthquakes

- Demeter. Goddess of Fertility, Agriculture, Nature and Seasons

- Hades or Pluto. God and Ruler of the Underworld, Riches and Death.

- Hestia, Goddess of the Hearth, Home and Fire

Second Generation

- Aphrodite, Goddess of Love and Beauty

- Apollo, God of Music, Healing and Prophercy, also identified with the Sun

- Ares, God of War and Warriors

- Artemis, Goddess of the Hunt, the Wild, and Chasteness, also identified with the Moon

- Athena, Goddess of Wisdom, Crafts and Warriors

- Hebe, Goddess of Youth, also Cupbearer of Ambrosia and Nectar

- Hephaestus, God of Blacksmiths, the Forge, and Fire

- Hermes, The Messenger of the Gods, God of Commerce, Thieves and Trade

- Dionysus, God of Wine, the Vine and Merriment

Close to the olympians

- Bia, the personification of Violence.

- Cratus is power.

- Dione, also known as the mother of Aphrodite, by Zeus.

- Eos is Dawn.

- Eros is the personification of Love.

- Ganymedes is the cupbearer of Heaven.

- Helios is the Sun.

- Heracles the greatest hero of the Greek myths.

- Horae are the Wardens of Olympus.

- Eilythia, the goddess of childbirth, daughter of Hera and Zeus.

- Iris is the Rainbow, the messenger of Olympus, together with Hermes.

- Leto, a Titaness, mother of Apollo and Artemis.

- Muses, the nine ladies of science and arts.

- Nemesis is the Greek goddess of Retribution.

- Nike is Victory.

- Paeeon is the universal Healer.

- Selene is the Moon.

- Zelos is Emulation.

Check this website and you'll find more info under each Greek Gods and Goddesses

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twelve_Olympians

• 1 decade ago

Many.

I think the root poly- comes from the Greek for "many."

Three powers? At least three:

Zeus, Father god.

Hera, Mother Earth godess

Poseidon, Sea god

I would think there is at least a fourth, the power of the winds, which can be at least four but one at the same time:

Zephyr, West

Boreal, or Northern

Australis, or Southern

I forget the East Wind's name in Greek. Orientalis? No.

Euros is a Southeasterly wind in Greece.

But well, bottom line is there are many and yes there are at least three powers in the Greek mythology.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

There is no definitive answer. There are some that are well-known and others who are hardly ever referenced. The most commonly mentioned gods are:

Zeus

Hera

Posiedon

Hades

Aechylus - Healing

Demeter

Helios - the sun

Hestia

Eros - (Cupid)

Ares

Hermes

Aphrodite

Athene

Dionysus

Apollo

Artemis

• 1 decade ago

Aphrodite Goddess of love and beauty, forced wife of Hephaestus.

Aπόλλων (Apollōn) Apollo God of the sun (light), music, healing, prophecy, and poetry.

Άρης (Arēs) Ares God of war, vengeance, anger

Άρτεμις (Artemis) Artemis Goddess of The Moon, hunting and archery. Twin sister of Apollo.

Αθηνά (Athēna) Athena Goddess of wisdom, crafts, defensive warfare, and the patron of Athens.

Δήμητρα (Dēmētra) Demeter Goddess of agriculture, grain, harvest and earth.

Άδης (Hades) Hades God of the Dead and lord of the Underworld and of the riches found within the earth. Brother of Poseidon and Zeus.

Ήφαιστος (Hēphaistos) Hephaestus God of fire and the forge (god of fire and smiths)with very weak legs. Makes armor for the gods and other heroes like Achilles. Son of Hera.

Ήρα (Hēra) Hera Goddess of marriage, family, motherhood and queen of the gods. Zeus' jealous wife.

Ερμής (Hērmēs) Hermes God of travel, thieves, and commerce. Messenger of the gods.He showed the way for the dead souls to Hades's realm.

Εστία (Hestia) Hestia Goddess of the hearth and domestic life. Eventually gave her place to Dionysus.

Ποσειδων (Poseidōn) Poseidon God of the sea, horses and earthquakes. Brother of Hades and Zeus and father of Polyphemus

Ζεύς (Zeus) Zeus King of the gods. God of thunder and lightning. Brother of Poseidon and Hades. Husband of Hera. Destroyed his father (Cronus) with a sickle. Ruler of the titans. Loves women and has various relationships throughout Greek mythology, an idea which was not as frowned upon in Hellenistic society as it is today.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Once when I was 12 or so, I tried to list them all (Olympian, and minor local gods). At the end of my effort I had 112 or something like that, and I'm sure I was no where near the end!

• ?
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/av3uh

Ovid says that there are over 30,000 gods active in Greece and Rome. About 29, 940 are so unimportant they are nearly impossible to find information on.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

One.....Yes, three manifestations, same God. Or same God, serving different purposes at different times. Anyone else notice that God the Father was Old Testament, Jesus Christ was New Testament and Holy Spirit was given after Christ ascended into heaven? Same God doing different things. (giving the law in our presence, but not on earth, fulfilling the law in our presence on earth, serving as a witness to the new covenant).

There is only one God....who came to Earth and became flesh,,this man God called his Son and his name is Jesus...He was fully man and fully God,,Jesus died on that cross for our sins,,,as a man,,,not as God....but a perfect man, witout sin.....and then he ascended to Heaven,,,he sent back his Holy Spirit to indwell each of us, who believe....

There are not three Gods....there is only God,,,,in the flesh as Jesus but still God...the holy spirit is God, period....all God all the time.....there is none other....

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

actually there wern't that many, there were a lot you could count them there were 67 to be precise you have the names etc from previous answers

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

There were many.

In christian mythology there are three,

no wait, one,

no wait, two the father and the son,

no wait, three, the ghost guy thingy,

no wait just one call by the Aramaic word for plural.

no wait...Damn, I can't really can't say for sure,

christians keep re-defining god over the years.

it's a conundrum.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

IN OUR GREEK CULTURE ,WE HAVE MORE GODS FROM THE PAST THAN WE CAN SHAKE A STICK AT....YOU HAVE TO REMEMBER IN ANCIENT TIMES,GODS NAMES WERE GIVEN TO ALMOST EVERY SITUATION...THERE ARE TOO MANY TO LIST ONE BY ONE....

BUT YOU DO KNOW THE MOST POPULAR ONES LIKE ZEUS,ISIS..AND THE REST.

IF YOU DO WANT TO COUNT THEM,GET A CALCULATOR...YOU WILL NEED IT.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.