CEKNB asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 1 decade ago

How do you get the Swedish letters that aren't in the English alphabet to be on your computer?

My dad's from Sweden, and over half of my family lives there, so I'd love to e-mail them using the proper letters, because an A is not the same thing as an A with two dots, you know...

• Taivo

You can install a separate Swedish keyboard in your Windows operating system (not a new physical keyboard, but a Swedish character mapping for your existing keyboard). Go to the Control Panel, find Regional Settings and Languages, and follow the instructions. I have about 20 different language keyboards installed in Vista on my laptop and switch between them quite easily when I need special characters in one language or another. It's easier than using the Character Map to constantly cut and paste or the Word insert symbol feature. If you only have to do it once in six months that's one thing, but if you want to use the character a lot in a single document, use the keyboard approach.

Source(s): I am a Linguistics professor
  • trip

Swedish Letters

• First of all, it really depends on the type of computer that you have. I have a Windows and I type in Swedish as well (I don't own a keyboard for it though because I'm too lazy to install one), so what I did to quicken up the pace instead of memorizing alt codes is to go to

-Start

-Control Panel

-Regional and Language Options

-Click languages tab

-Under text services and input languages click on 'details'

-Click 'add' under the unstalled services box

-Add Swedish as a language

-You should then see either 'EN' or 'SV' on your systems tray/taskbar. You can change back and forth between them by just clicking on them or pressing the left Alt + Shift keys or the right Alt + Shift keys

-When in 'SV' setting just press ;: key for ö, [{ key for å or the "' key for ä

Hej! Min papa i också svenska och min (family) bor i Sverige.

Ok I can't write in Swedish...

Open up Word, Insert --> Special Character/Symbol --> scroll until you find the 3 letters you want! But just in case, here they are!

öäå

Here: å ä ö Å Ä Ö Just copy these whenever you want to write an å, ä or ö.Or maybe if you have that button with the ^, ~ and the ¨ on you can press the ¨ when you press a or o. Hope I've helped. =)

• Donna

Of coarse, comes from doing my favorite activity... My favorite letter is S!

type your messege in word. it has an option of INSERT click there and they have every thing. there are also hot keys to them which you can set yourself