I get e-mail (spam) from someone with the same e-mail adress as myself-how does this happen?

E-mails come with information that is "about" the e-mail (called the "header") and the contents of the e-mail itself (called the "body"). The header is often likened to an envelope on a mailed letter.

Spammers reguarlly put false information in the headers of their e-mails. They try to cover their tracks to make it hard to track down where the e-mail originated from (so that you don't report them to their internet service provider, etc.).

Now part of the header is a field called "from", more or less like the return address on that envelope. Spammers commonly forge the "From" address. I've gotten e-mail responses (about e-mails being rejected or somebody's mailbox is full, etc.) that were the result of some spammer sending an e-mail address to someone else using my e-mail address as the "From" address. Frankly, I think this qualifies as "defamation of character" - if you could track them down, I'd love to sue some spammer over this.

Suppose you drop a letter in a postal mailbox, and your put a "to" address on it, and you put the same address down as the "from" address. What is the post office going to do? They will deliver it. So what happens if an e-mail server gets an e-mail with the same address for "To" and "From"? Some people do e-mail themselves stuff (e.g. "remember to get some bread and milk on the way home..."). Is your ISP going to reject the e-mail? Kind of a tough call. And it is not like some human being is there making that call. Some program has to make that call.

people will do anything to try and get a person to open a e-mail, there are all kinds of tricks out there, here are some rules that I tell people to use as a guide line:

RULES FOR E-MAIL

1. IF YOU DO NOT KNOW THE SENDER, PUT A CHECK MARK IN BOX AND MARK AS SPAM AND DELETE

2. IF THERE IS NOTHING IN THE SUBJECT AREA, AGAIN PUT A CHECK MARK IN THE BOX AND MARK AS SPAM AND DELETE.

3. IF YOU RECEIVE AN E-MAIL AND THE MESSAGE AREA THE IS ONLY AN ATTACHMENT, AGAIN CHECK MARK IN THE BOX AND MARK AS SPAM AND DELETE.

THESE ARE THE MOST COMMON WAYS FOR SPAMMERS TO SEND VIRUS AND SPYWARE THOUGH THE E-MAIL SYSTEM.

ANOTHER THING IS IT SOUNDS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE, CHANCES ARE IT IS! MARK AS SPAM AND DELETE.

THERE IS A WEB SITE THAT YOU CAN CHECK OUT MOST E-MAILS THAT KEEP SHOWING UP OVER AND OVER TO SEE IF THEY ARE TRUE.

http://www.snopes.com also called the urban legends site.

Source(s): tech

Let's say your email addy was autumn99@yahoo.com. A spam generator might send out junk mail to all the autumns from 0 to 99. If you are getting returned email that you didn't send in the first place, then someone has hacked your email and you need to change your password. If the person's email addy is exactly the same as yours, forward the email to whoever is your email provider and request assistance. But change your password first and foremost, just in case.