Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social ScienceGender Studies · 1 decade ago

Ladies if society asked you to vote for wether women should just be practical & wear pants all the time or be?

very gender specific and have them wear skirts or dresses all the time which would you vote for? And voting for pants would mean from crib to the grave and no wedding dresses. In other words you would have the same limited choices as men!

I know this seems like a dumb question but I am trying to understand if feminine things like dresses are really very important to women anymore.

Thanks - so far you have helped me in my argument about paying for a wedding dress. My girlfriend always wears pants so it just makes no sense.

Just kidding about the wedding dress. I am already happily married. I just wanted to make sure people understood all of the ramifications.

That's a hard one because I like wearing jeans, but I also love to dress up once in a while. (I understand this is a hypothetical question and will answer it as such). I guess I would have to go with the practical choice of pants. There are some really cute pants choices out there that can be spiced up with the right shoes. Besides, it would be awfully hard to fight the enemy in a camo dress. Hahah! (Sorry, just picturing the women in the army all wearing fatigue dresses!)

Yes, I'm sure that dresses are very important to some people, but I think having the CHOICE in what we wear is even more important. This is a silly question, so you are trying to persuade your GIRLfriend from buying a wedding dress because she wears pants most of the time? It's HER CHOICE on what she wears when you guys get married, why try to make her feel bad for it?

I would vote to wear skirts and dresses, for many reasons. I especially love skirts because they are just more comfortable. Unlike pants they are more loose, breezy and go better with my blouses and accessories. Or I have a cute pair of shoes I want to show off, and pants cover them up. Also as you say, sometimes the occasion calls for it. How do you have a wedding with no wedding dress? How would you go to an opera or formal dinner with no cocktail dress? How do you go salsa dancing with no flouncy dress or skirt? Women like men dress to express their own personality, style and mood. Some times I want to feel more feminine. But really, our wardrobe choices should not be limited, and neither should mens. If a man wants to wear a skirt or dress, more power to him! In the rather bohemian area where I live it's not uncommon to see men dressed in wrap skirts. The only thing limiting men's choices is the derision of other men, and as you guys still run the world if you all decided to wear skirts, we women wouldn't stop you. It's a free country, not like we are living under the Taliban or Ayotollahs that tell us how to dress...

James, wearing a wedding dress can hardly be compared to wearing pants for comfort. Even the most harden pants wearer is going to want a dress for her wedding day. If it's just the cost of the dress you're worried about, your girlfriend can always rent one. Thrift shops and places like the Salvation Army sometimes have some great and very cheap wedding dresses as well.

But this wouldn't be the same as men - if men wanted to wear skirts then all they would have to do, is make it fashionable and start a trend. Much like David Beckham made a man's sarong fashionable, and a kilt.

Outside trousers look good but a skirt is far more comfortable. But if I had to choose my favourite item it would be a dress/skirt because it's much more comfortable and practical.

My sister rbought back some traditional egyptian (I can't remember what these are called?) men's dress things they wear for my Dad and her BF. They thought they felt great and wear them round teh house.

I prefer pants myself, so if I wasn't ALLOWED to wear skirts it'd just be same old, same old for me. No skin off my nose.

Please don't make us wear ties though. Those cut off oxygen to the brain.

Edit: well paying out the nose for a dress you wear once IS kinda stupid, but so far wedding dresses haven't been outlawed, so the argument doesn't seem to hold up very well to me.

Maybe something along the lines of a compromise for you and your fiancee is in order?

I would go for the practical pants. I do like to dress up on occasion but it wouldn't be worth it to have to wear a dress everyday.

LOL All I wear is skirts and dresses, so you know what I would be voting for. Feminine dress is a big deal to me, partly because of my faith and partly because I just really like to look feminine. That said, I would have a problem with making it impossible for women to wear pants at all. I wear pants when I ski or when I take my kids outside to play in the snow, and I wear jammy pants too. I wouldn't be all that happy with either option, I guess. But voting to make it impossible to ever wear a skirt or dress? Not on your life.

**EDIT** What's with the thumbs down people?? I had no idea it was so bad for me to actually like wearing skirts and dresses all the time.

I've already voted by wearing pants, but honestly I wouldn't mind wearing a skirt all of the time either. There really isn't much of a difference.

I would stage a protest against fascist limits on personal expression.

I also have no problem with men wearing whatever they damn well please : )

cutekitty: they are called galabiyyas, and they are indeed incredibly comfortable

edit: this is pretty shaky basis for making an argument against a wedding dress. by the way, at my wedding, I wore a sari, and he wore a kilt. His cost more than mine. weddings are expensive, even if you elope (which we tried to do). Suck it up and deal.