Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 1 decade ago

what percentage of white south africans speak afrikaans or english?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favourite answer

60% of white South Africans speak Afrikaans as their first language, and 2.6 million claim to have a high level of fluency in Afrikaans, however many whites do speak it as their second language.

• 1 decade ago

Nearly all South Africans speak English. A lot speak Afrikaans.

You will have no problems with English.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

on wiki it says majority of white south africans speak afrikaans

"It is spoken not only by a majority of whites but also by about 90 percent of Coloured (multiracial) people in the country. Afrikaans is also spoken widely across the centre and north of the country, as a second (or third or even fourth) language by Black South Africans living in farming areas." Wikipedia

• 4 years ago

I grew up in SA through fact the the toddler of Mozambicans (Portuguese) dad and mom. We have been welcome by applying the English however the Afrikaans looked as though it would see us as 2nd type electorate. They looked as though it would think of (incorrectly) that they have been better to us. as a consequence I grew up English into the society that i grew to become into welcomed into (even regardless of the indisputable fact that I went to a bi-lingual college). i would not say that the Afrikaans and African community dislike/mistrust the English any further than they dislike/mistrust one yet another. in recent times i might say we get alongside extra helpful than ever.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

Almost ALL South Africans SURPRISINGLY Speak English ! ! !

• zenda
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

The 2006 midyear estimated figures for the other categories were Black African at 79.5%, White at 9.2%, Coloured at 8.9%, and Indian or Asian at 2.5%.

• aaron
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

100% of them speak english.yes, all of them speak english

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.