Is 150/100 Blood Pressure normal for 47 years old-I don't think so?

We are in UK and 47 years old Men had a chest pain and buzzing noise in his left ear and the blood pressure was 150/100 and that was going on for more than a year and he's been told by the GP that this is normal for his age. Then we had to take him to Doctors in East Europe(where they are taking very good and very fast care of you in clean hospitals not like in UK) and they said that the blood pressure is high and they gave him to take one 10mg Renapril a day. Blood pressure went down from150/100 to 138/89 for 3 months and the noise disappear, but now the tablets are not working any more and the Blood pressure is up to 149/98 again. and the anoing noise is back again. Now the GP in UK says he has to take Renapril 10mg one tablet a day+Amlodipine 5mg one tablet a day. Did anyone had the same problem?

As others have advised, 150/100 is too high, and is at 'intervention' level. Normal is 120/80, although it is perfectly reasonable for this to fluctuate during the day, and occasional high measures are not a problem, provided it's not sustained. Renapril is of a class of BP controlling drug known as an ACE inhibitor, and it's not unusual for it to be given in combination with other drugs that have slightly different modes of action, such as a beta blocker (e.g. Atenolol) or a calcium channel blocker (e.g. Felodipine/Amlodipine).

Be careful about advice to increase potassium intake. Some BP treatments have an effect on potassium levels, and you should NOT artificially supplement potassium levels without taking medical advice.

Calcium channel blockers like Amlodipine can have a side effect of increasing water retention, which can manifest itself as very puffy lower legs and feet. If this happens, your doctor may replace the Amlodipine with an alternative BP control medication.

Some kinds of tinnitus (buzzing in the ears) can be associated with high blood pressure, and bringing the BP down to normal levels should get rid of this.

1

Source(s): Hypertension Solution http://sparkindl.info/ControlYourBloodPressure

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

We are in UK and 47 years old Men had a chest pain and buzzing noise in his left ear and the blood pressure was 150/100 and that was going on for more than a year and he's been told by the GP that this is normal for his age. Then we had to take him to Doctors in East Europe(where they are...

Source(s): 150 100 blood pressure normal 47 years don 39 so: https://tr.im/eEgqs

In the UK, the blood pressure association says 140/90, as do the current NICE guidelines above which there needs to be some intervention. Please remember that all the associations and societies have a different view of 'high' and where high begins. My GP says 140/85, it seems to be just pick a number between 75 and 90 .

My blood pressure was actually at 192/118 but I had no symptoms as suffered by your husband. I began taking calcium channel blockers which after 3/4 months had reduced my BP but not enough. He wanted me to add another drug to the mix, but I'm really more concerned about him making me sick than my own body.

I did some research myself and began taking Hyperexol, a herbal supplement. This is not the cheapest way but as some of the research shows concern that in pre-menopausal oe peri-menopausal women (I'm 47, too) when a second drug is added there is a 17% increase in stroke. Obviously I cannot know if this is drug toxicity or the fact that the BP is out of control but I have such little faith in the medical profession in the UK that I would rather not risk more drugs. Been on Hyperexol for 3 months and BP is generally between 135 to 150 and 80 to 95. Remember it is BP. It does go up and down unless chemically suppressed, I know there aren't too many about round these parts but I need my BP to be able to go up in case the sabre tooth tiger chases me up a tree!!

Mostly now, of course, the stress is traffic, doctor's appointments, supermarkets and all the other day to day stuff that whips us up. My body doesn't care if it's the tiger or the carpark, it's doing what nature intended it to do.

Cheapest place for Hyperexol if you're interested is to check ebay. It's working for me.

Here in the States the old norm was 120/80. Now I think they want the bottom # lower so they can put more people on medication. I have never heard that blood pressure #'s are age dependent!

The buzzing noise he hears is called tinnitus and can be caused by high blood pressure.

I hope his meds bring his blood pressure down.

It's also helpful to stay away from salt, red meat, fried & fatty foods.

Good luck

It is high normal for an adult is 120/80. He needs to watch his diet, reduce salt and take some moderate exercise like walking. I would suggest he push the GP into giving him a 24 hour blood pressure monitor as that is the most accurate measuring system. There is a phenomenon called 'white coat syndrome' where the blood pressure is abnormally high when the dr or nurse takes it because you are scared it is going to be high. My hubby has this and when he checks it at home it is normal

• John R

Found this on a health website ...

Medical guidelines state that a normal blood pressure for most adults is less than 120/80 mm Hg.

So, yes, I would say 150/100 is definitely on the high side.

• fallen

I'm not a doc or anything but that sounds high to me. I've always heard that when the second number gets to 100 on a consistent basis you need to be treated for high blood pressure.

140/90mmHg is the level of blood pressure used to diagnose high blood pressure. If your blood pressure is consistently raised at these levels and above, it will need to be treated. Treatment may involve making changes to your lifestyle and/or taking medication. This level of 140/90 mmHg is the level for high blood pressure for everyone, whether you are male or female, young or old.

High blood pressure can be a systolic reading of 140 or above, a diastolic reading of 90 or above, or both. For example, a reading of 150/85 mmHg is high because the systolic is above 140; a reading of 139/95 mmHg is high because the diastolic is above 90. A reading of 150/95 mmHg is also high as both the systolic and the diastolic number are raised. As you get older you may find that your diastolic level is normal but your systolic level starts to rise and this is called isolated systolic hypertension. This is common among older people, and still needs to be treated.

140/85 mmHg is the target blood pressure for people who are receiving treatment for their high blood pressure. The only exception to this target level is if you have diabetes, kidney disease or have already suffered a stroke or heart attack. Then it is worthwhile lowering your blood pressure even further and your doctor may as you to lower your blood pressure to 130/80 mmHg.

When you have your blood pressure measured, always ask what it is and keep a record if you can. By doing this you can see whether your blood pressure is stable or is increasing.

1. Know your numbers (get your blood pressure checked regularly)

2. Eat less salt (no more than 6g a day)

3. Eat more fruit and vegetables (at least 5 portions a day)

4. Be as active a you can (aim for 30 minutes five times a week)

5. Drink alcohol in moderation

6. Keep to a healthy weight (lose weight if you have to)

Arrange an appointment to see your GP at your local surgery.

Stay healthy :-)

Many common natural remedies are claimed to have blood sugar lowering properties that make them useful for people with or at high risk of diabetes. Learn here https://tr.im/a6JKm

A number of clinical studies have been carried out in recent years that show potential links between herbal therapies and improved blood glucose control, which has led to an increase in people with diabetes using these more 'natural' ingredients to help manage their condition.