Why is mitosis referred to as equation division and meiosis referred to as reduction division?

We are doing meiosis and mitosis in my college prep. biology class and I'm trying to get better answers than what they give me in the book, i really need to do good in this class.

Favorite Answer

during mitosis, chromosome number is not reduced so it is equal to the mother cell as in the daugther cells...(think of an equation as being equal on both sides)

meiosis, chromosomes are reduced to half(n) the amount as of the mother cell(2n)

hope this helps

Reduction Division

mitsosis is the typeof reproduction wherein the mother cell produces 2 daughter cells that have the same number of chromosomes, which in humans is 46. on the other hand, meiosis is the type of reproduction that produces half of the 46 chromosomes which is 23.

the reason for this is that when the sperm(23 chromosomes) and egg(23 chromosomes) unite, there will be a total of 46 chromosomes for the offspring. so it is safe to say that the offspring contains both of the genetic makeup of its parents.

I was born in Cardiff (Wales) so i always make the distinction between the countries. But since living in the us i have noticed that a majority of the people i talk to refer to the UK in general as England, as if its the only country there is. While talking to people, some have even argued with me saying Wales isn't a country but an island. To answer your other question. In my experience there aren't people who dont like the term UK, but i know i get annoyed with it because it seems they think the UK involved only England and not the whole United Kingdom.