E-file PA state tax return free or not??

I am in the process of deciding between the following websites for e-filing: emarttax.com, olt.com or taxact.com. I know that these websites offer FREE FEDERAL filing but do charge for STATE FILE return between $7 and $12. My question is...would it be OK that I file my federal return through one of these companies and then e-file my state return separately via https://pa.direct.file.state.pa.us/authentication.... I have not seen anywhere that PA Direct File charges for filing online but then again, I don't know if they will upon end of process? Does anyone know?

Yes, you can file your federal return for free via online software and the go to your dept. of revenue/taxation to do your state for free.

That's what I've done for the last 4 yrs. for federal and KS.

And yes, PA's e-file is free.

• Judy

If you file your PA state tax return on the state website, there is no charge.

You are under no obligation to file your state taxes at the same site as you file your federal.