Paint Pony asked in PetsHorses · 1 decade ago

What do you think of this? Long to read, but worth it!?

I got this in a email from a friend of mine. I do not know how wrote it, but IMO, everyline is true. This could have been written about all of us horsewoman, past, present and future. Enjoy!

'My daughter turned sixteen years old today; which is a milestone for most people. Besides looking at baby photos and childhood trinkets with her, I took time to reflect on the young woman my daughter had become and the choices she would face in the future. As I looked at her I could see the athlete she was, and determined woman she would soon be.I started thinking about some the girls we knew in our town who were already pregnant, pierced in several places, hair every color under the sun, drop outs, drug addicts and on the fast track to no where, seeking surface identities because they had no inner self esteem.

The parents of these same girls have asked me why I 'waste' the money on horses so my daughter can ride. I'm told she will grow out of it, lose interest, discover boys and all kinds of things that try to pin the current generation's 'slacker' label on my child. I don't think it will happen, I think she will love and have horses all her life. ..........Because my daughter grew up with horses she has compassion. She knows that we must take special care of the very young and the very old. We must make sure those without voices to speak of their pain are still cared for.

Because my daughter grew up with horses she learned responsibility

> for others than herself. She learned that regardless of the weather you must still care for those you have the stewardship of. There are no 'days off' just because you don't feel like being a horse owner that day. She learned that for every hour of fun you have there are days of hard slogging work you must do first

Because my daughter grew up with horses she learned not to be afraid of getting dirty and that appearances don't matter to most of the breathing things in the world we live in. Horses do not care about

designer clothes, jewelry, pretty hairdos or anything else we put on our bodies to try to impress others. What a horse cares about are your abilities to work within his natural world, he doesn't care if you're wearing $80.00 jeans while you do it.

Because my daughter grew up with horses she learned about sex and

> how it can both enrich and complicate lives. She learned that it only takes one time to produce a baby, and the only way to ensure babies aren't produced is not to breed. She learned how babies are planned, made, born and, sadly, sometimes die before reaching their

potential. She learned how sleepless nights and trying to outsmart a

crafty old broodmare could result in getting to see, as non-horse owning people rarely do, the birth of a true miracle.

Because my daughter grew up with horses she understands the value of money. Every dollar can be translated into bales of hay, bags of feed or farrier visits. Purchasing non-necessities during lean times

can mean the difference between feed and good care, or neglect and

starvation. She has learned to judge the level of her care against the care she sees provided by others and to make sure her standards

never lower, and only increase as her knowledge grows Because my daughter grew up with horses she has learned to learn on her own. She has had teachers that cannot speak, nor write, nor

communicate beyond body language and reactions. She has had to learn to 'read' her surroundings for both safe and unsafe objects, to look for hazards where others might only see a pretty meadow. She has earned to judge people as she judges horses. She looks beyond appearances and trappings to see what is within.

Because my daughter grew up with horses she has learned sportsmanship to a high degree. Everyone that competes fairly is a winner. Trophies and ribbons may prove someone a winner, but they do not prove someone is a horseman. She has also learned that some people will do anything to win, regardless of who it hurts. She

knows that those who will cheat in the show ring will also cheat in every other aspect of their life and are not to be trusted.

Because my daughter grew up with horses she has self-esteem and an

engaging personality. She can talk to anyone she meets with confidence, because she has to express herself to her horse with

more than words. She knows the satisfaction of controlling and

teaching a 1000 pound animal that will yield willingly to her gentle touch and ignore the more forceful and inept handling of those

stronger than she is. She holds herself with poise and

professionalism in the company of those far older than herself.

Because my daughter grew up with horses she has learned to plan

ahead. She knows that choices made today can effect what happens

five years down the road. She knows that you cannot care for and

protect you investments without savings to fall back on. She knows the value of land and buildings. And that caring for you vehicle can mean the difference between easy travel or being stranded on the side of the road with a four horse trailer on a hot day.

When I look at what she has learned and what it will help her become, I can honestly say that I haven't 'wasted' a penny on providing her with horses. I only wish that all children had the same opportunities to learn these lessons from horses before setting out on the road to adulthood.

I got this same email form the equine nutrionist i work with. As i read it I realized that in many mnay aspects of my life this was true for me. I stayed out of trouble as a teen b/c all I cared about was my horses. i had friends in high school going out and doing drugs, having sex, getting drunk...etc etc yet I had no desire to do any of that b/c I had too many shows to go to. I stayed in that mind set until I was 20 and my boyfriend got killed on a four wheeler. 20 was when i went wild and got tattooed for the first time (I have 4 but all in very hideable locations b/c of job purposes.. shoulder, ankles and lower back) I would have turned to riding for comfort but that period of my life found me with one horse who was gravely injured and the other so heavy in foal I couldn't ride her. , the only other riding horse I had had at that time had passed away 6 months earlier. It sucked. But horses utimately pulled me out of that funk. My mare foaled about 3 months after he (boy friend) was killed. I actually got to see her and help her foal and wow it was like a wake up call. While I was wasting away liongering over his death here was a new life coming into the world. I think if my mare had not foaled when she did I probably would have completely dropped horses and wallowed in misery for a good long time. I'll be the first to say, I think horses saved me, more times than one

I love this email- I was and still am that child. We were poor but my parents made the effort to include horses in my life. I am now 37 with a career in horses that I love.

By the way when I was 25 I decided to get 3 tattoos and I have 8 piercings in my ears. Tattoos are tastefully selected in places for me to see not everyone else.

I am proud of my career choice and am happy that I have had the opportunities with horses that my parents gave me. they never forced me to do anything- once I got the bug I was out of control-riding anything I could ride-doing anything horsey I could get my hands on.

I have the utmost respect for animals and humans both. I in my spare time rescue horses off the track so they don't end up in worse place. Oh and by the way, my career is in thoroughbred racehorses and I LOVE IT.

Each person chooses to raise their children different with different ideas and values but I can tell you loving horses and animals teaches you more then you could ever imagine...

• Ron N

To articulate an answer in a broad and general sense would

be unfair. I take to heart and mind all that you stated.

And I agree with the sense and sensativity aspect of your

commentary. My experience as a Federal Law Enforcement

agent and Special Forces member taught me things about

human nature that kept me alive in my vocation. You have

to take each situation in life on a case by case basis.

What works for your daughter and you, may not be the catalyst for success in others. Certainly all the basics of

your argument persay are correct as to the aspectual properties that the love of horses and animals can create.

However this works for those of us, who live and work in

this industry,,Those who have the problems which you

elude to,, should have had something to help them in there

structuring and growing up years,, apparently they did not.

Its never to late to introduce someone to a horse or a dog or

another human being that could be the factor in changing

there life around.

Thanks for posing this topic Hope this helped.

Source(s): USJD:SA(ret) Rancher/Breeder/trainer of sport horses and police horses.

Wow your daughter seem a realy wise person. Its great to hear what people have achieved through animals. I hope that i can achieave all she has, ever since i started horse riding, i guess i have changed, but now i know there are many more changes to come.

I loved it. I grew up a country kid, of course, so when I was a sixteen year old girl I was in horse heaven and nothing else mattered. I'm still pretty much that way, though I've been away to college, taught school for five years, married well, and have a daughter. The horse connection and all that goes with it will last me a lifetime. My daughter is already riding with me, and she's only two. I want her to have that same wonderful experience.

Here's a few pictures of Madie and me and horses:

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc25/DaisyKJ/Mi...

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc25/DaisyKJ/Cr...

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc25/DaisyKJ/76...

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc25/DaisyKJ/La...

Thanks for sharing!

• WOW!!!

It was totally worth the read & I definitely agree that EVERY single line IS true!!!! Whomever wrote it hit the nail square on the head!

Thanks!!

We do not have daughters, but I hope I can also include our three sons in those lines as well.

B-N-B: AMEN!!!

• Debi

I love that.

My daughters are 15,17 and 19, my son is 16.

What can I say, I see the kids around here, hanging around outside shops, drinking and creating mayhem and think myself lucky that mine had the chance to stay out of that type of peer pressure.

Really nice. I am a country girl and even though I dont have horses I have 20 goats.

That is a great story! I am currently sixteen and know how important horses are! My kids will def. get the same opportunities I have because I too understand the importance of horse ownership and love =] thanks for sharing!

Who wrote this was wise in more ways than one, and it can be fitted to many 'hobbies' that involve animals. Thanks for that, have a star.