how to season frying pans?

Favorite Answer

Are you talking about a cast iron pan or what?

Seasoning Frying Pans

To season a frying pan means to treat it with oil so as to create a non-stick coating. This is usually done to cast iron pans. The oil fills any microscopic holes in the metal and then dries like a shellac, sealing the surface.

Since Teflon coated and hard-anodized aluminum pans are already non-stick, there is no need to season them. While some cooks season stainless steel pans, manufacturers generally do not feel it is necessary.

To season a pan, preheat your oven to 300°F (150°C). Preheat the pan on the stove top. When warm, coat the inside surfaces of the pan with lard. I prefer lard. Continue to heat just until you see ripples appear on the surface of the oil. At this point, pour off any excess oil, give it a quick wipe with a folded paper towel held in a pair of kitchen tongs, and then put the pan into the oven for 45 to 60 minutes. Remove the pan from the oven and allow it to cool to room temperature.

Seasoned pans should not be washed in the dishwasher or scoured with abrasive cleaners or pads, as this will remove the coating. Wash in warm water .

Eventually the seasoning will wear off in areas. You can tell that this has happened because food will start to stick or rust spots will appear. When this happens, clean the pan well using a steel wool pad, and then re-season it.

1

Source(s): Delicious Paleo Recipe Cookbook - http://PaleoCookbook.raiwi.com/?vUYx
  • My grandmother taught me this fool proof way of seasoning cast iron. I don't know if it works for other types of metal, but it's amazing for cast iron.

Put your new skillet on the burner and crank it up on high. This will burn off the coating. Once the pan is hot, pour salt over the surface in a uniform layer. continue to heat on high until the salt starts to pop, or change to a light shade of brown. Then take the pan off the heat (preferrably take it outside) then pour oil over it WITH the salt in the pan. It will smoke like crazy, so make sure that there's plenty of ventillation. Once it cools, run the pan under water (no soap) to lift the salt and excess oil. Wipe with paper towel, and it should be good to go.

Source(s): My blessed Granny taught me.

same way as a wok I suppose. Fill it with oil and heat until steaming. Seasoned oil I suppose. I suppose, I suppose...