What do "Christians" mean when they use the word "Cult"? Often a better term would be "Christian Cult"

Everyone be sure and get this straight.!! You sound like a bunch of monkeys.

By "cult," we mean a group, religious in nature, which surrounds a leader or a group of teachings which either denies or misinterprets essential biblical doctrines.

Christians define the general word "cult" to mean a group of religious people who follow teachings and practices that deviate significantly from historic Christianity and the central doctrines of the Bible.

A cult is a religious perversion. It is a belief and practice in the world of religion which calls for devotion to a religious view or leader centered in false doctrine. It is an organized heresy. A cult may take many forms, but it is basically a religious movement which distorts or warps orthodox faith to the point where truth becomes perverted into a lie.

One way to define a cult is popular in evangelical Christian circles. From this perspective, a cult is any group that deviates from the orthodox teachings of the historic Christian faith

• KylieV
    Favorite Answer

I can't believe people were having trouble figuring that one out

"A cult is a religious perversion. It is a belief and practice in the world of religion which calls for devotion to a religious view or leader centered in false doctrine. It is an organized heresy. A cult may take many forms, but it is basically a religious movement which distorts or warps orthodox faith to the point where truth becomes perverted into a lie."

That sounds like a pretty good definition to me. So what's your problem? Any church that denies that Jesus is the Son of God or preaches any other plan of salvation than is written in the Holy Bible would fit that definition, since the word Christian means "follower of Christ". How can you be a follower of Christ and deny Him as the Son of God, or teach and practice fundamental doctrine which is clearly contrary to the Word of God on such important doctrines as salvation by grace through faith?

By YOUR definition, Jehovah's Witnesses, Mormons, Seventh Day Adventists, and probably a few more offshoots are "cults", as they probably consider mainstream Protestant faiths a cult.

What church in particular are you referring to, and why is it bothering you?

One way to define a cult is popular in evangelical Christian circles. From this perspective, a cult is any group that deviates from the orthodox teachings of the historic Christian faith...

Couldn't have said it any better brother...

Vernon Howell (aka David Koresh)...Cult

That Applegate dude from Heaven's Gate that got his people to kill themselves... Cult

Jim Jones - Cult

Blue Oyster Cult - Helluva good rock n roll band...

However I would term Jehovah's Witnesses and Mormons as a cult also, so I guess I fall into that category too...

I'd be open to discussing why, but I DO have a lot of fun exchanging sarcasm with everyone else out there so forgive me if I seem shallow... :)

i I do believe cult means the worship of a person, not of the Bible. It's more like a religion that follows the teachings of a person ,that founded the religion. It may have some Bible instructions in it, but more is not, but the beliefs of a man/woman, that started it. NO, the Christian faith is totally of the Bible and started back in Jesus' day. It is not a cult , but from the inspired word of God.I think that's the difference in the cult and the Christian faith. At least this is what I've been taught.

Here is another aspect of Cults.

Shunning is a draconian measure and is a marker of a cult. To control members shunning is threatened or imposed and members often have to publicly denounce their family as heretics or apostates. Being shunned is the "social death" of a member that has so much invested in a group. This is the loss of all friends and family which means a shunned member will be turned away even in a life and death situation. This may mean the loss of a spouse as that a person is a heretic and an apostate.

A shunned former member facing severe social, political, and/or financial loss may often return to the group.

May I add none of them good.

Many groups practice some form of shunning.

Amish

Followers of the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society

Mennonites (some)

Latter-day Saints

Baha'i

ultra orthodox Jews (some)

Scientology

A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another

John 13:34.

I would not say that anything that deviates from orthodox Christianity is a cult.

I think the thing that makes a cult unique is that they tend to isolate new and potential members from outside influence so that they only get the opinion of the people in the group. This gives them a stronger influence.

What is a cult ? It is a group which teaches doctrines or beliefs which deviate from those held by the historial, evangelical Christ Church.. they major on half-truths or they distort truth. The little truth they often use is mixed with error and therefore dangerous;

They use; Extra-biblical or special revelation, to the sixty-six books of the OLD and NEW TESTAMENTS, they add their own revlations, which take precedence over the Bible.

• When I say cult, I mean a group that discourages independant thinking and dictates every detail of the follower's life. Leaving the organization is thought to be the same as turning your back on God.

This is true of the JW cult that masquerades as a religion. I know this from personal experience.

Source(s): My story is available here: http://exjehovahswitnessforum.yuku.com/topic/7069/... On the same forum, you find many other similar stories, and even ones that are far more tragic.

In Christianity a cult is a religious group that rejects the deity of Christ, eg Mormons, or JW's. A false religion would be the Muslims. A false belief system would be the Catholics because they accept the deity of Christ, but deviate from the Bible on essential doctrines.

The problem with your argument is that heresy, "biblical doctrines", and "false doctrine" is opinion. Holy Moses, look at how many Christian churches there are. You guys can't even decide on what you do and don't agree on!

Mormons and Jehovah Witnesses are NOT cults. They are just people who view things differently than you do. My religion is NOT a cult. I admit that there are aspects that understandably appear cult-like, but you fail to understand our religion. We put emphasis on our Prophet because we believe he's a prophet-- I mean, the people in the Bible put emphasis on their prophets because they thought he was a Prophet. Same concept. But our doctrine focuses on JESUS. He is the most important thing in our religion.

BY DEFINITION, anyone who follows a group that is meant to focus on one person or anyone who follows a group that places emphasis on one person or thing is a CULT. So BY DEFINITION, all religions could be considered cults.

Source(s): EDIT: Oldguy, we don't deny Christi's deity. He's part of the Godhead. It is true that Revelation 22:18 ", If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book". But guess what? When the Bible was written, it was NOT written all together. It was compiled later. Anyone who has the slightest amount of intelligence knows that. So when that scripture was written, logically it was written to apply to the Book of Revelations only since the writer did not have the rest of the Bible Books.

Friend , If you believe Joe Smith's Myth, you are a member of a cult. I don't tell you this to slam you or condemn you. Fact 1: Joseph Smith and Brigham Young were both false prophets . Christians do not follow false prophets. Fact 2: The book of Mormon violates Revelation 22:18 ", If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book" Christians do not add to the Bible. Brother out of love I tell you these things . Please research the LDS outside of Mormon doctrine and see for yourself that this is indeed a cult. Smith was a con man that mixed a little truth with a big lie just like Islam did. God bless you ,please come to the truth.