Whats your meaningful quote?

what is your meaningful quote and what does it mean? Why do you like it?

15 Answers

Relevance
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago
    Best answer

"Life is like writing with a pen. You can cross out your past but you cannot erase it." - Unknown

Man is the master of his destiny. We create our destiny. Anything new It could be. Yet, it could not be something to remove the past. It will always exist. Well, that quote reminds me about that. That's why I like it.

• 1 decade ago

My most meaningful quote is "If we all discovered that we had only five minutes left to say all the things we wanted to say, every phone booth (updated version: cellphone!) would be occupied by people calling other people to tell them that they loved them." This was written by Christopher Morley, I'm not sure what year.

It reminds me of the fact that when all is said and done, when this journey we call life comes to an end ~ all we take with us and all we leave behind is the love that we gave and we received. Most of the things that we worry about and think are important are actually trivial.

I first became very aware of this fact when 9/11 occurred, and we heard all the last phone calls that were made to loved ones. Every one of them were calls ensuring their loved ones that they knew how much they loved them.

The recent death of my mother from cancer also brought this fact right home to me. As she was supposedly in a 'coma',I held her hand and told her it was time to stop fighting and let go, and that I loved her and knew that if she could talk she would tell me that she loved me too. I asked her if she could squeeze my hand to let me know that she heard me. I felt her slowly sqeeze my hand, then she took one last deep breath and passed away. I can still feel the love that she left with me, and I know that she took my love with her.

So that's my story. Thanks for the question.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

"Forget the past, because it is already dead. Ignore the future, because who knows, tomorrow may never come. Think and live for the present because now is the only time I have anything to do with. " - I guess I dont really need to explain this one. I love it because it is so true ... not only for me but for every human being

"Whenever you find the key to success, some idiot changes the lock. So forget about the key and break open the doors to success" - I hope you will know what this one means too ... I like it because it reminds me that it is useless to hope for some short cut to success .... if you want to succeed in life, you must work hard

• 1 decade ago

I think you can figure out what it means. I like it because it opened a whole world of thought to me when I first read it 30 years ago. It's from "The Outermost House," by Henry Beston, an American writer and naturalist philosopher.

“We need another and a wiser and perhaps a more mystical concept of animals. Remote from universal nature, and living by complicated artifice, man in civilization surveys the creature through the glass of his knowledge and sees thereby a feather magnified and the whole image in distortion. We patronize them for their incompleteness, for their tragic fate of having taken form so far below ourselves. And therein we err, and greatly err. For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older and more complete than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear. They are not brethren, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendour and travail of the earth.”

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

A woman never forgets the men she could have had; a man, the women he couldn't.

Anonymous

The older you get, the more meaningful this becomes.

• 1 decade ago

"LIFE'S A JOURNEY, NOT A DESTINATION"

I think it's good to remember, cos we're all always rushing around, trying to get things done 'on time' when actually we should be enjoying the one life we have.

When i was first diagnosed with depression i was in a desperate hurry to get better so that i could 'get on with my life'. Then i realised that this depressive episode is part of my journey through life. It's going to to be part of what makes me 'me'.

It's a really tough part of the journey, but part of it which i have to accept as happening. There's no going back wishing it wasn't happening- only the opportunity to go forward and learn from it.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I have two: " My precious, precious child, I would never leave you nor forsake you." Jesus-

It reminds me that ,like eve , for example ;purposes only- no matter what i'm feeling, or doing, or not doing, whatever "sin" action or behavior that I know is hurtful to myself or others, whether i'm in church or in a bar, in acceptance or rebellion he loves me. I am his child, he knows my heart, and like eve he just wants us to stop hiding from him. He doesn't expect us to be perfect, his greatest commandment was to love one another. and then he goes on to say love is patient, and kind, and keeps no score, etc...... and He loves us like this! so much. I'm also reminded of this when I look at nature, children, hope is a persons eyes, etc... He never leaves me of forsakes me, no matter what the devil trys to tell you. Youu are always wanted, just say hello.

Ok sorry for the preach but God is not about punishment, when you love someone you want to please them and them you. He just wants a relationship with those who are willing to give him a lil time.

My second: My husband said it to me last night after horrible fight where i said mean and cruel things, where I felt indifferent towards him as a person and after all was said and done I was just ashamed of my inner anger and resntment and selfishness, etc.. I asked him How he could ever forgive me, did he hate me? He replied, and God knows he's no angel either but he said, ""I may not always like you, but I vowed to love you." Wow! epiphany for me. thanks :) for reading if you got it this far.

• 1 decade ago

I have many...but the one I like the most comes from Dr. Martin Luther King (NO...not the 'I have a dream...' quote)...

"If a man hasn't discovered something he would die for, he isn't fit to live."

Succinct and very 'to the point'.

• 1 decade ago

My favourite quote is composed by me in continuation to the quote

Behind every successful man is a woman......

I added

Behind every unsuccessful woman is a man.....

I believe it because you can look around and see 90% successful woman is either a spinster, widow,divorcee

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

"You're only as happy as you let yourself be."

I can't remember who said this, but it's true.

It's my personal favorite because i tend to be a people-pleaser but i never find a way to make myself happy. So i always try to keep this in mind so i won't need to blame the circumstances or the people around me when i'm not happy because it's solely up to me.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.