Yahoo Answers is shutting down on 4 May 2021 (Eastern Time) and, as of 20 April 2021 (Eastern Time), the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

the fire within asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

Vegetarians, vegans and PETA?

I'm a vegan but not because of PETA. Actually I discovered PETA BECAUSE I was a vegan. This is actually many questions.

1) Are you against veganim/vegetarianism? I'm not against eating meat anymore (while I am against factory farming, I do believe people have rights!) but I considered eating meat to being a murderer while PETA was busy swaying me into insanity.

2) If you are, did PETA influence your anti-veg feeling?

3) Are any of you ex-PETA members? If so what broke you away from them? If not, what influenced you to keep away from this idiot organization?

4) If you are a meat-eater (which is fine), how often do you eat meat? dairy products? eggs?

5) If you aren't a vegan, do you eat organic?

6) Would it be hypocrital for a vegan to wear leather, wool, etc.?

7) And lastly, which person came up with the ridiculous idea of feeding vegan/vegetarian to CARNIVOROUS dogs and cats???

Thanks for any answers in advance!

Dog Trainer--actually, humans are not CARNIVOROUS. We are OMNIVOROUS but because of the many alternative foods, OMNIVOROUS humans are able to live quite well on a vegan diet. We do not REQUIRE animal proteins like cats and dogs but it does not harm us unless we eat too much.

My only complaint of these answers is that they are all too high-quality! lol. I'm having a really difficult time picking a "best answer"....

1. No, I have nothing against vegans/vegetarians, everyone has free choice, so as long as they leave my choices alone, I will do the same for them.

2. PETA hasn't influenced me in anyway, I don't give them that much power over me, good or bad.

3. I stayed away from them simply because they are actually animal haters and killers (no matter what they say), oh and idiots.

4. We eat meat at for almost every meal, same with dairy. I'm allergic to eggs, but my kids love them.

5. Most of the meat we eat is raised right here on our property, same with veggies.

6. I think it would be hypocritical of a vegan to wear leather and other animal products, that the animal has to die to produce, but I don't think it would be hypocritical for them to wear wool, because it doesn't hurt the animal to be sheared. (Unless of course you nick it with the shears, but they're fine in a second or two.)

7. I honestly have no idea what idiot decided to force their beliefs onto their dog, when dogs need meat.

Your Welcome, lol.

1. I am not against people being Vegan, just when people force this diet on their carnivore pets.

BTW....being vegan/vegetarian, you eat live plants, and in effect are killing plants when you eat them... so I really don't see what the difference is, everyone's got to eat something! (nothing personally towards you)

2. PETA.... yeah, not a member, never will be.

3. See above.

4. I eat meat everyday, a couple times a day. But in small helpings...like maybe a few ounces a meal? It's not much anyhow. I eat dairy everyday too, eggs, not as often as I use to.

5. I try to eat as much organic as possible, though some sold as "organic" isn't really. I just try to buy smart, less processed the better!

6. Not really. Depends on how you get the leather. Nothing wrong with recycling or using something that might otherwise be waisted. Besides, its more "natural" product, I rather be natural fibers then synthetic that doesn't break down as well.

7. LMAO! People that think Kibble is good? Because kibble companies support their own research programs that prove how good THEIR product is, and then convince vets that its a good idea, then owners to believe them! Pick anyone of these people, they would be in there somewhere. :P

Thanks for a great question! :D

I am a vegetarian. My dogs are not. I do believe that people have the right to make their dogs Vegetarian if they please. It's not unhealthy and if people did their research they would know. Don't be ignorant. Also, a vegan/vegetarian diet is way more beneficial than a meat eating diet. If people did their research on this subject they would know that too. The term Vegetarian means you DO NOT eat eggs or anything from an animal. There are sub-genres of vegetarianism for that. I hate when people say "I'm a vegetarian but not strict", no, you are not a vegetarian. You're something else. Yes, if you're a vegan or veggie for Animal Rights reason, wearing fur or wool or leather or whatever it is, is hypocritical. Nope, not a Peta member. I'm just into living a clean, healthy lifestyle with no bad karma. I think I'm doing a swell job!

Oh, it's also proven that vegetarians and vegans are highly intelligent. More so than others. Look it up. It's true!

- Eating meat = Killing animals. No, I'm a vegan. I'm against eating meat. It shouldn't be your "right" to kill an animal for palate pleasure.

- N/A

- I was never a member, but did support them. I still do, kind of. True, they kill animals in their shelters but without them animal rights would be nowhere near as big as an issue as it is today.

- Vegan

- N/A

- Yes

- Animal rights supporters are against animal ownership. It's a temporary solution.

• Jen

1. I am not against the way of life anyone chooses, even though it may be different from my own.

2. n/a

3. I have kept away from PETA simply by reading about how many animals they euthanize every year and because I do not agree with complete animal liberation. It is stupid, in my opinion, to expect that we never use animals to help us do jobs. There are many that need therapy dogs, hunting dogs, and herders. We as humans are at the very top of the food chain and there is nothing wrong with eating meat and training dogs to help us catch or herd our food. I for one, do not want to go back to the days of hunting my own food, and trying to survive solely on plants and the like.

4. I eat meat/dairy/eggs every day in some form.

5. I eat some things organic but not everything.

6. I think it would be hyprocritical, if the vegan was a vegan bc they felt itwas cruel to eat animals. If they were vegan because they simply didn't like to eat animals or dairy, because of preference of taste or something, then no.

7. I have no idea who came up with that idea but I agree it is ridiculous. Some animals are carnivores Plain and simple, that is what God intended. If it isn't broken, don't fix it.

Great question.

• Amanda

1. No, I am not against it. People have a right to choose what they believe in and eat

3. Nope, not an ex-Peta member, but I didn't feel negatively about them until I really got involved with dogs

4. Yes, I eat meat, dairy, and eggs. It would be safe to say that I eat some type of meat on a daily basis. I drink milk milk practically every day, and have eggs maybe once a week.

5. I eat organic on occasions.

6. Yes and no. In the typical sense of a vegan, I think it would be hypocritical, but on the other hand, I feel like people can choose their own set of beliefs. If they don't agree with something, they shouldn't do it, and if they do, then they should.

7. I have no idea- but I don't think it is fair for a person to use their beliefs, even though it is against common sense, to care for their animals. Animals need meat. If you don't want to eat it, fine, but your dog shouldn't suffer because of it.

1. No, I believe that people have to make responsible choices for themselves. I'm against any poorly-informed diet choice, but ultimately it's the person's funeral. (Yes, I eat fast food. It's my funeral.)

2. Not really, no... but I'm not anti-vegetarian or anti-vegan. I was raised Unitarian, and the seventh principle is "respect for the interdependent web of all existence, of which we are a part." That inspires MUCH vegetarianism, which is fine.

3. No, but I used to have more sympathy for them than I do now. Reading and doing a bit of research has shown me more of who they really are.

4. I eat meat about once a day. Dairy is about twice daily, eggs mostly in other foods. I feel that cutting these protein sources out of my diet would be a very bad idea - I'm not big enough on soy that I could replace my meat with it.

5. I would like to eat organic, but I'm still skeptical about food labeling being deceptive. I'm also on a pretty limited budget here.

6. Interesting question. I think that if the animal by-product didn't kill the animal, it's okay. So wool would be okay, leather would not. The fact of the matter is that humans have been using animals for food as well as for clothing and shelters for thousands of years. We evolved doing so.

7. There have been many arguments that dogs are omnivores. I personally disagree, but one thing's for sure: THEY AREN'T HERBIVORES. I don't understand feeding a no-meat diet to pet carnivores. It makes no sense to me, which is why I fed a no-grain kibble before I switched to prey-model raw, which includes no vegetables (except as occasional treats and snacks).

• 1) I am not against it, people can eat what they like, however I do consider it to be unhealthy.

2) If PeTA said the sky is blue, I'd check it out for myself.

3) I was never a member, but once I found out what they really stood for I was totally against them.

4) I eat meat or eggs at almost every meal. Dairy products in moderation.

5) I'd like to eat organic, or at least healthier food produced by sustainable farming methods, but I can't afford it at this time.

6) It depends on why they're a vegan. If it's because they think it's healthier, then no.

7) PeTA and their ilk.

1) Are you against veganism/vegetarianism?

I am fine with vegetarianism, but veganism goes "too far" with it. you should chose to eat vegetables for the health factors, not just because you care about animals. you should still eat things like honey, eggs, gelatin, yogurt, cheese and milk because it does not harm the animals. you can boycott factory farm animal meat and just buy organic free feed meat, or fish, cuz their life styles are not lived in misery.

I didn't know PETA people were vegetarians until recently, it's made no influence on me.

No. These people appear to fight for things i agree with, but behind the scenes they have alterer motives. Such as no dogs on chains.. they take dogs away from owners who chain them up 24/7 and then euthanize them because they are un-adoptable from chain-rage and no socialization.

meat every day. i used to drink a glass of milk every day but not anymore, more like twice a week. eggs every once in awhile.

i'm not, but i always prefer organic veggies.

6) Would it be hypocritical for a vegan to wear leather, wool, etc.?

yes, cuz that's what veganism is about right? they wont eat gelitin, honey, milk etc.. so why would they buy and use products with leather and wool... LOL.

I don't know, but there's a really old dog in the UK that's been fed a veggie diet for 27 years.

http://dogsinthenews.com/issues/0209/articles/0209...

I don't see anything wrong with feeding your dog veggies, but I don't like the idea of refusing to give them meat. Just seems too un-natural. But vegetarians always seem healthier... so it's not a horrible thing, if supplemented with beans and other things for the missing meat.

I eat meat. Our human bodies require proteins that come from meats-humans are carnivorous. I do not eat too much red meat though as it is not the healthiest! I try to eat fish and chicken or other poultry most of the time.

Eating minimal meat/dairy is fine, as well as organic, and vegetarian diets do help with certain medical conditions. If a person doesn't like eating meat because it is murder, I certainly hope they believe in peaceful means of working out conflict-and yes, if you do believe eating meat is murder, then wearing other parts of an animal would constitute the same. However, consider this: you could look at picking an apple off a tree or plucking a grape off a vine as murder too....

I am aware of PETA and they have a purpose for protecting animals but I am not a member, nor have I ever considered being a member.

I do become concerned when people try to make their dogs and cats completely vegan like themselves. They need the high protein diet found in meat! High protein grains like oatmeal, rye, or barley, should be part of their diet though too.