Why does my heart beat so fast?

I am 22 years old and for a couple of months now I have been having really fast heart beats sometimes. This doesnt happen often but when it does, i will feel like pressure, or tightening under my heart, and my heart starts beating so fast like you can see it just by looking at my chest and it will last for a good 20-30 minutes. I went to the doctor the first time it happened and got a EKG done but by the time I got to the ER it had already stoped and I did drink 4 coffees that night so they thought that was it. Well I stoped drikning caffeene and it happened again just recently. I went to the doctors and he said i have to be put on a heart monitor for a month. I am on Birth control and he said that could possibly be it and to stop taking it-EEK! I am married and have a 2 year old and do not want another one right now so I am regretting to get off my Birth Control. I dont have any family history of any heart problems and I am not overweight. I only weigh 113 pounds.

Favorite Answer

The main cause of your fast heart beats are

1) birth control pill.

2)too much of caffeine.

You have an open choice leave them or take fast heart beat and other complications.

Good Luck.

Source(s): I am a doctor.

This needs to be evaluated by your doctor, obviously. But I would make sure he checks your thyroid and adrenal (cortisol) levels. Sometimes, in early stage endocrine disease, the glands release hormones erratically, which can lead to sudden surges in your hormone levels, leading to a rapid heart rate.

I hope you don't smoke or take any kind of stimulant drugs. Diet pills can also cause similar issues.

Believe it or not, there actually IS a possibility that you are reacting to a food. Check to see if certain foods set off your symptoms. If you are eating a lot of simple sugars, a sudden surge or drop in blood sugar can cause this too.

This could be stress, this could be an endocrine disorder, this could be a serious heart condition. Unfortunately, there only person who can tell you that is your doctor.

Good luck!

well, it seems that your problem is quite complex

but I think it's normal to have fast beating sometimes especially when you just did something hard, example go to upstairs, do your house works, etc.. at that time you may feel tired, I think.

And the second posibility is psychosomatic problems...

If you have several problems that annoy your mind or you always complain with something..

and the last may be your doctor is right because the adverse effect from your birth control medications can cause hormonal disorders that effect your rate of beating..

Do you eat healthily because weight is not necessarily a good indicator of health.

Are you still being put on a heart monitor? You will probably need to wait for the doctors verdict and in the meantime use condoms or a diaphram.

• momma

hey girl it could be heart palputations from possably a thyroid problem have it checked out i had the same problem but i didn't have ANY other symptoms so it is something to have checked good luck

Source(s): someone who has it?