Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkOther - Food & Drink · 1 decade ago

is popcorn really unhealthy for u?

if so whats in it thats bad? i eat a bag of popcorn every day and my mom keeps telling me to watch it...

Caleb --- I had a problem with my colon a year or so ago. and the DR. told me not to eat any more pop corn. He told me it was very bad for the colon. And the fat isn't good for you eather. Like you I couldn't get enough popcorn.I ate it every day for a long time but I followed the DR's advise and quit eating it. Now I think it is more of a habit than a need. If I were you I would cut

eating it not more than once or twice a month, Then cut it out of my diet alltogeather.

The DR. said it could cause pollicks in your colon and a much more serious colon

condition that I couldn't pronounce much less spell. Listen to mom -- Mom's are

right 99.99% of the time. jim b

Source(s): experence

Most microwave popcorns have high amounts of Trans fats even if they say they are healthy, They still use some kind of cooking oil to heat the kernnels. I prefer poping mine in a soup pot on the stove, its fluffier, and doesnt stink up the microwave when its done.When I make mine I only use 1 tablespoon canola oil and 1 cup of kernnels for 1 huge bowl of popcorn. Now if you want to try this make sure your pan has a thick bottom or your going to scorch the pop corn, and the pan needs to be on med high til it starts popping rapidly then turned off til it stops poping all together. Also careful when you open the lid so you dont get steamed burned. And enjoy

Popcorn by itself is really good for you. That is if you pop it yourself. If you are talking about a microwave bag, then the nutritional value goes down.

Airpop it yourself and you can still flavor it the way you like it.

# Popcorn contains fiber, providing roughage the body needs in the daily diet.

# Popcorn is low in calories -- only 31-55 calories in one cup of unbuttered, and when lightly buttered, one cup still only has 133 calories.

# Popcorn has no artificial additives or preservatives, and is sugar-free.

# Popcorn contains energy-producing carbohydrates.

# Popcorn is ideal for between meal snacking since it satisfies and doesn't spoil an appetite.

Source(s): www.popcorn.org

Popcorn is actually a pretty good snack for you. Its low in carbs, high in fiber & not a whole lot of fat, unless you get caramel, extra butter or any variety of the sort. The only really bad thing is the salt. But if you don't have a high sodium intake, its not too bad, then.

• copper

If you are eating microwave popcorn, there are all sorts of weird fats, preservatives, and flavoring. If you make your own in an air popper, or limit the oil you pop it in on the stove, it can be a very healthy snack.

There is something else no one has mentioned, about the popcorn itself, not the oils, butter and salt. Look at that piece of popcorn and notice all the rough edges on the "inner" side. Well, that's how it goes through you. This kind of fiber can scratch up the intestines on its way out and lead to some forms of cancer.

It depends on what is in the popcorn. Some microwave popcorn is high in trans fats. Check the label.

• peredo

Popcorn is fairly fairly undesirable for you, as this is extremely extreme in carbs, and it has fairly a extreme GI, so it reasons a spike on your blood sugar, which in basic terms a quick time later leads to a low and extra cravings. upload to that sugar and butter and you're confident to learn weight! you're lifeless precise approximately it being addictive too! My advice - bypass popcorn altogether.

the popcorn itself is not bad for you. What is bad is all the salt on it, the oil it was cooked in and the butter it is drenched in. Any one of those is bad enough, put them all together and you might as well just open a jar of lard, grab a spoon and dive in!

Popcorn is great for you if it's not covered in butter and salt. It is easy to digest and low in calorie content making it a healthier choice when snacking!