Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationMaintenance & Repairs · 1 decade ago

How bad is it to drive with no brake fluid?

I understand there is probably a leak, but if i filled up the brake fluid thing under the hood would that still be really dangerous?? I just can't get it fixed for another week and I dont want to be driving if it is unsafe but i read before that someone said you can fill up the brake fluid container and stil drive .. is that true and how dangerous is it??

17 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favourite answer

It's bad.

Prolly best to hope you aren't traced back to this question

after hitting someone/something

because the car didn't stop in time.

Even if it is a small leak,

and you can get away with filling the brake fluid reservoir every now and then,

nobody can predict when, how large or how fast

that small leak will no longer be small.

Really ought to park the car until it's fixed... properly...

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • nosek
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

Fluid Drive

• 1 decade ago

Sure. You could drive just fine.

It's the stopping that's the problem.

NEVER ADD BRAKE FLUID!!

The brake master cylinder is designed to hold just the right amount of brake fluid for your brake system.

There are two things to note.

1) As the brake pads wear out, the calipers piston has to move farther out to press on the brake pads. As the piston moves farther out, the area behind the piston becomes filled with more fluid from the master cylinder, and the level of fluid in the master cylinder goes down.

When the fluid level in the master cylinder gets too low, a light should come on indicating that your brake fluid is low.

That does NOT mean you need to add brake fluid. It means your brake pads are VERY close to being worn out.

2) If you add brake fluid today, and have your brakes done tomorrow, when the mechanic compresses the caliper piston ALL the excess brake fluid is going to spill out of the master cylinder all over the engine compartment and make a huge mess. Not to mention ruining your car.

Just a note: Brake fluid does not evaporate. So, unless you have a leak, NEVER add brake fluid.

Have your brakes serviced.

• 1 decade ago

It's a very temporary fix..... But here's one problem. you have a problem a (Leak) one of the seals blew.... OK. not a big deal it's now leaking fluid in and around your breaking systems so it's harder for you to stop so you push harder on your break pedal causing more fluid to circulate. Now your cylinder (under the hood) is empty. Yes you better fill it or you will have no break. BUT now not only have you added more fluid the the damaged line just to be pored out onto bad seal area. Now you have air in the lines of the other un-damaged brakes. get the picture. keep fluid in the car don't pump your brakes , don't drive unless you have to and get it fixed next week.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

It'll last about three pumps worth depending on the severeity of the leak.... I've done it but it's not for everybody.You could get by by using your E-brake If it is a hand held one it is easier,if it is on the floor be sure you hold the release button too. If the car is in rough shape the cable could be stuck too, CHECK it out before you get rolling, ReMEBER when using e brake stay straight and give yurself plenty of time, Fix it as soon as you can..

• moffat
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

particular a leak can unquestionably introduce air into the equipment. i could wager (assuming there are no glaring leaks around any traces) that the grasp cylinder is in all likelihood undesirable and can be leaking from the popular piston (closest to the driving force) and can be leaking into the flexibility booster (the huge bowl finding element related to the grasp cylinder). an uncomplicated thank you to benefit it is to loosen the bolts to the grasp and seek for fluid in the back of it. additionally, to get a company pedal returned I wager which you have air interior the definitely grasp cylinder chambers so the least complicated thank you to bleed it fairly is gonna be to get 2 human beings and do right here: One guy or woman pumps the brake pedal and then holds it to the floor the different guy or woman takes a flare nut wrench of acceptable length and loosens between the fittings (ought to be 2 or extra) popping out of the grasp cylinder at a time. once you spot some fluid come out as we talk re-tighten. Repeat this till no bubbles come out. in simple terms be helpful you do this with all fittings popping out of the grasp.

• J.
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

It is very dangerous to drive a vehicle that is leaking brake

fluid,it could end up on your brake pads if its a leaking

slave cylinder or the brake pipe may burst if it is corroded

enough.Don`t drive it till it is repaired.

Source(s): car owner for more years than i can remember.
  • 1 decade ago

No brakes, how bad is that? how about a 6 foot deep hole in the ground for each of you and your friends, and the innocent baby you ran over. Dont drive it, get it TOWED to a shop and have the brakes fixed. Your life will thank you

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

really really bad!! you shouldn't even add fluid to your brake fluid thing ( reservoir) at all, if you think you need to it means you need a brake job! do us all a favor and stay off the road until a professional fixes it! the Whoa peddle is a lot more important than the go peddle!!

• 5 years ago

Just happened to my Mitsubishi Mirage 97 5 speed with 316000 miles:).. fixed today and paid $1300 plus tax... it is the most important decision and money I ever made and spent.. because it will keep you safe on the road... driving with break fluid leaking = suicide mission... it is dangerous to other as well...

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.