Windows 2003 Small Business Server VS Standard Edition.?

what is the difference? i cannot find any straight answers.

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favourite answer

The first answerer was thinking back to NT4 days with the "40,000" line... Active Directory can handle millions of objects - the old SAM database had a rough estimate of 40,000 as a max. Further, SBS cannot be used for most enterprises because of it's restrictions - indeed, the term "enterprise" in IT generally refers to LARGE organizations of several hundred to many thousands of users.

The second answerer almost had things correct... except that he was wrong. SBS can have 50 other Domain Controllers if you wanted... or more... the limitation is that the SBS Server MUST be the FSMO master domain controller. FSMO Masters are 5 roles that every active directory must have. In a non-SBS domain, you can split these up (or leave them on one server). In an SBS domain, the SBS server MUST have them (thus, you can only have ONE SBS server in a domain).

SBS (Small Business Server 2003) was designed for small businesses - those with 75 or fewer employees (or devices, depending on how you license the server). It includes many wizards for management that are NOT in the standard server, and several features for productivity that are not in the standard server, such as the Remote Web Workplace which facilitates remote access to your network. SBS includes AT LEAST Microsoft Exchange 2003, but the premium version also comes with SQL Server and ISA server (as well as a couple of other lesser things).

Typically, SBS will cost you $600-700 while Standard Server will cost you $800-900. So SBS is CHEAPER.

As mentioned, the Client Access Licenses (CALs) are different - they are all "bundled" so that you get the CAL for Windows Server, Exchange, ISA, and SQL as well as a license to use Outlook 2003 for every computer with a CAL. As a result, the SBS CALs can cost roughly $85-90 each while standard server CALs, I believe, are more like $30 each. But when you factor all you are getting (or if you get SBS Premium), then the CALs are MUCH less expensive than going for regular server and buying regular CALs.

Lastly, you can find more information and documentation on my SBS web page - see http://www.lwcomputing.com/tips/static/sbs.asp

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

SBS is aimed directly at small businesses. It must operate as the only domain controller. CALs are not compatible between SBS and Windows Server (insert any other flavor here) Small business server can host exchange, and even SQL Server. It however cannot host more than 75 CALs (Client Access License) Windows Server Standard can host more CALs than 75 but does not come with exchange. Further more you must be running an active directory domain for exchange to function. Small business server is a cheaper way for small business with less than 75 client machines to operate. If you are going to exceed that number then it is not the right solution for you.

• 1 decade ago

What do you want to know? The small business server is good for small enterprises. Actually it is sufficient for most of the companies/organizations.

Regular Server 2003 can support upto 40000 users and computers, more than 1 domain, has many applications that are rarely used. It is an overkill for most of the applications.

• 4 years ago

you for sure have a actual connection there. i could say attempt and readd them to the area first, and then be confident the DNS entries which i could wish are static different than that i could be confident the routing ie. does a million/2 the room bodily connect on a distinctive swap then the 1st a million/2? are there broken cables inflicting packet loss? sorry i will't be extra help it particularly is somewhat a pickle without being waiting to do hand-on

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.