Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentElections · 1 decade ago

What did Barack Obama mean by "typical white person"?

"The point I was making was not that my grandmother harbors any racial animosity, but that she is a typical white person. If she sees somebody on the street that she doesn't know (pause) there's a reaction in her that doesn't go away and it comes out in the wrong way."

- Barack Obama

http://www.drudge.com/news/105637/obamatypical-whi...

13 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Best answer

It's racism for; Blame the White people, Hate them! Hate them! She is one of them!

and that is their positive attitude!

• 1 decade ago

Duh, he's talking about the generations of people passing on their prejudice and racist mannerisms to their offspring--much to a point where it has become typical of observation. It's not uncommon to see a black guy pass a group of white people, who would then clutch their purses (Roland Martin, despite wearing a suit), or to see a bunch of white people fall silent once a single black person enters a restaurant. He addresses that he wants to eliminate this issue so society can be best equipped for the future. People who are ignorant or don't want to hear the truth start dissecting it and taking it out of context to their own benefit, which is what is happening in the news right now to those who are against him.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Simple. He meant there was a racial divide in this country, and in fact there still is, wherein people who are unknown to us, people who we don't normally interact with (whether white or black) cause a certain protective reaction in us. Nothing racist about it. In fact, he used the point to argue for improved racial relations. Racists don't do that.

• 1 decade ago

I think that people should stop hating on Obama. If he is such a loser then how come 100% of his bashers just sit on the computer all day and post nonsense about Obama. That's scary! You probably don't even know what your own desired candidate stands for because you spend so much time criticizing Obama. You people are obsessed, jealous, and very scared of a Black, well-educated man running for presidency. If he has such an easy lost, then how come you all just can't chill out and enjoy your win since you all act as though the race is over! People only talk about very important people and it's obvious that you all feel that Obama IS the man.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • ?
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

a racist slur against the white population. Call Sharpton and have BO exiled.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

i believe he was using a hasty generalization of whites n no doubt, had it been a white person saying that about blacks, they would have had to drop out of the race

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

When he said "typical white person" what he really meant to say was "a racist honkie".

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Rev. Wright did have an impact.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Hey i like crackers..specially the round ones..

• 1 decade ago

More bullshit out of the mouth of Obama.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.