Is there such a thing as reverse racism?

I have written this in some of my answers, what do you think?

I personally believe that philosophically, a group of people that have been systematically oppressed cannot be racist. (i.e. Black Americans) There is no such thing as this thing some call "reverse racism." Why not? Because the group being oppressed ARE the victims. If a young lady goes to the police to report that she has been sexually assaulted, do the police tell her that she has no right to be angry because if she is it is reverse assault? No, they clearly don't. Black Americans have been assaulted and have every right to be upset at the disparities that have spawned from it.

Think racism doesn't exist in these days? I am white and my son is half African and half White. I have experienced blatant racism as a result of my interracial relationship, being called a n***er lover by whites. A close family member of mine said my son has "what we used to call n***er lips."

Update:

I am not suffering from any sort of guilt, nor am I pulling the race card for "poor blacks." I think I now agree that racism is racism, but I still feel that although slavery is over, the effects of slavery in our country has malled the black community.

How? It sparked a cycle of poverty by limiting resources to blacks who attempted to "go down the right path" as some of you view it. I have lived in black neighborhoods and I am not excusing the very few black people that are simply unmotivated. Unfortunately, this notion that blacks simply need to "pull themselves up from their bootstraps" is ignorant. Most Black Americans ARE working just as hard as whites, and ARE motivated, and ARE being held back by people like those that are still holding on to stereotypes. I am telling you that I have seen it with my own eyes and you are calling me a moron? I am trying to have a civil and intelligent conversation, so please don't respond with counterproductive statements. Thanks.

Update 2:

I am also not "granting anyone a free ride." Making statements like those of Rev. Wright's are inexcusable. But, we should understand the context and realize that the anger he has, while expressed in a negative way, is very real and in most instances justified. Also, we have ALL made derogatory/prejudiced/perhaps racist statements in our life. And Bear, the people in power are whites...maybe not you and me, but definitely the 1% that run our country and perpetuate the institutionalized racism that DOES exist. Thanks to all for your thoughtful comments. I didn't expect so much for my first question asked.

Update 3:

Sistagirl, thanks for your comments...if I were a guy I might call ya. lol, but I'm a woman. :)

Update 4:

Coma White: REALLY? Perhaps not in our country, but there are still African slaves who are suffering from European (white) colonization.

I would like to know what school you've been rejected from because a qualified minority stole your spot? The truth is that affirmative action has benefited white women more than anyone, but I guess you're opposed to a qualified woman getting an equal shot at "your" opportunity, huh?

25 Answers

Relevance
  • Rose
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago
    Best answer

Wow...such a question. This point has been argued both ways. I've heard it argued from whites and blacks in both ways. In fact, I think that first time I heard it argued as "No" was from a white man. He even admitted to having once been racist.

I think yes and no. My yes argument: Anybody can be discriminated against. Anyone can discriminate. But that's just discrimination. Discriminations are nothing but prejudices or even preferences. If I like males that are tall, then I am discriminating against shorter males. Now, in dating, that discrimination is understandable. It's just what we're attracted to or what we find attractive. However, when it comes to professional life or life beyond our own social network, discrimination by physical attributes are not acceptable. You can't hire or fire somebody because they are tall or short.

My no argument is: To be racist is to be a part of a group that has power and to be prejudice. From the snippets they showed on the news of Wright's sermon, the only POSSIBLE racially filled thing he said was that America was run by rich white people. The only way people could have thought that that was racist was by guilt. White people who don't feel guilty, wouldn't have felt that that statement was racist. They would have thought and said, "Hey, America is run by rich white people." So, if you're "rich" and discriminatory then you could possibly practice classism. If you're white and discriminatory then you could possibly practice racism. For the rich and/or the white, it is ok to have a personal "social" preference, but discriminate beyond that is offensive. If you decide to practice your right of preferences, that's your decision. However, you might miss out on a good friendship and/or relationship due to your own closed mindedness. But that's your right. But due to the disproportionate rationing of power, discrimination beyond the social realm is unacceptable and now illegal.

But yea, racism still does exist these days. I'm sorry that you and your family has had to go through that. Racism is a result often of ignorance. The only way to fix it is to become enlightened. The only way to become enlightened is to be open minded. Unfortunately, no matter how much some people claim to be open minded, they really aren't.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

i personally believe that philosophically, a group of people that have been systematically oppressed cannot be racist. (i.e. Black Americans) There is no such thing as this thing some call "reverse racism." Why not? Because the group being oppressed ARE the victims. If a young lady goes to the police to report that she has been sexually assaulted, do the police tell her that she has no right to be angry because if she is it is reverse assault? No, they clearly don't. Black Americans have been assaulted and have every right to be upset at the disparities that have spawned from it.

Think racism doesn't exist in these days? I am white and my son is half African and half White. I have experienced blatant racism as a result of my interracial relationship, being called a n***er lover by whites. A close family member of mine said my son has "what we used to call n***er lips."

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

No. I think Travis Smiley said this. He said during slavery 98% of blacks were working for white folks. Blacks are free and it's 2008 and blacks are still 98% working for white folks. I think some blacks can be racist any ethic group can. My girlfriend father who is Mexican is prejudice against blacks. Whites are the majority so they are in power. Aprox. 99.9% of job interview I have is with a white interviewer. If I do get that job, my boss's boss is white and so on and so on. No. I don't believe in reserve racism. White are the majority and do not want to give up that power. I can't say all whites are like this. You are not like this. My mom always told me. There are good and bad in every race.

Keep your head up on your relationship. I wish there are more white men out there like you. I am single and looking. What I took from Obama speech is we need to move forwad and heal. Yet, a majority of peopole want to be stuck and dwell in hate.

• Laurie
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

Nonsense. I only agree on one point - "reverse" sexism, etc., is BS. There is no "reverse" about it - discriminating against someone because of which "group" they belong to is wrong. It is equally racist (or sexist, etc.) to make broad assumptions about whites, blacks, women, men, gays, straights, etc. Why do people see things in such black and white terms? Just because you are a member of an oppressed group, it does not give you carte blanche to do some oppressing yourself. Only through having dignity and showing class can we advance the image of women, for example, or blacks, or gays, or whatever. That means not being incredibly sexist or racist and then whining that you're oppressed yourself, so it doesn't "count".

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Yes there is such a thing as reverse racism. It exists. Time to wake up and smell the coffee lady. Stop screaming injustice like you have never been called a cracker or honkey either. Whatever. People like you are so blind to recognize that racism exists on both sides. I have never owned a slave, bought one, never called someone the N word. Today everyone has an opportunity to become who they want to be. And further more choices that they take. If you want to cry all day about oppressed people go ahead you'll get real far. Or look outside the box and realize its everywhere and just not be apart of all the hatred!

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

As far as your comparison of reverse racism to a sexual assault victim, your logic is faulty. First of all her anger cannot possibly be "reverse assault" because anger is not, in fact, assault. If she sexually assaulted him in return, I suppose this would be reverse assault and would be illegal.

Second of all, reverse racism is not a victim being angered by an injustice. It is a victim having a blind hatred against a group of people where some or many of the group members are not responsible for the original injustice. By all means, be angered by your family member's comment about your son's lips, that's not racist, just don't blame all white people (including, I guess, yourself).

• 1 decade ago

of course people who have been oppressed can be racist.

racism is racism, no matter if you think it is justified or not.

I happen to be a white male, but I am the least racist person I know. I have friends of all colors and creeds, and I find it very offensive when someone accuses me of racism, or assumes that I am racist, because of the color of my skin. Do you really think that anything, even centuries of oppression, justifies racism, or reverse racism (which is a ridiculous phrase, by the way)? Because if you do, and you keep finding reasons why racism, in any form, is ok, it will never go away.

• 1 decade ago

Feel sorry for the close family member who disparages a child. consider the source (ignorance and fear) and move on. Whites have also been called names. Enough of this.

"Ignorance breeds contempt" (or fear, hate, etc.)

I would say that a better description of "reverse racism" would be when a group of blacks despise another group of blacks for not hating whites, or visa versa, such as in the term "Uncle Tom."

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

like obama said...

"Rev. Jeremiah Wright, use incendiary language to express views that have the potential not only to widen the racial divide, but views that denigrate both the greatness and the goodness of our nation -- that rightly offend white and black alike.... , they expressed a profoundly DISTORTED view of this country -- a view that sees white racism as ENDEMIC, and that elevates what is wrong with America above all that we know is right with America....

What's remarkable is not how many failed in the face of discrimination, but rather how many men and women overcame the odds; how many were able to make a way out of no way for those like me who would come after them."

I just want to say I did didn't have a slave or call an african american a ******... and a lot of my generation.. a young one.. are in the same shoes... we are now being held responsible for mistakes of the past.. we are being treated like we have being a part of holding back african americans. I have many african american friends who are on the right path in life and aren't held back in any way.... but i also know many african americans and other races who choose to go to drugs and so forth.. so it's a choice today.. a choice to better your own life... stop making excuses any... and that goes for whites, latinos, asians, blacks...etc

• 1 decade ago

so you are saying blacks are oppressed today? There is no african alive today that has been a slave. And if they have the same grades as I do, they would get into a school before I would because that school need to fill a quota. Talk about racism.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.