What's your method of escape, when children sell fundraising items for school?

Inspired by Ol Geezer's question.

Am a business person in the community so I sometimes buy fundraiser items from the children of faithful customers.

We have at least 15 schools within customer range.

I purchase from the first child who asks; but only if the fundraising item can be used by me or family members. Have gotten some really nice T-shirts this way.

Otherwise, our business makes a contribution to the school PTO.

We have several small, struggling schools. Otherwise I participate to help them raise funds by being a volunteer at a CarWash or some other activity.

Fundraisers do serve a purpose, especially in underfunded schools. In our local districts, the teacher gets $50 or less to spend in the classroom per year but I can't afford to support all the fundraisers.

• RT 66

I'm all for business that allow schools to throw car washes and such. This allows folks that can afford to make a donation to assist the schools. However, the candy bars and pop-corn and such adds an unnecessary burden on the kids and really doesn't help their self-esteem any. There always seems to be at least one parent that can push this stuff on their co-workers and their child ends up always receiving some kind of recognition as the "Top Seller". Then, the poverty stricken kids that are being raised on assistance programs comes with with what mom had to struggle to purchase just so her kid wouldn't be left out 100% and the kid usually feels bad about only being able to sell one or two. Been there, done that, and don't like it at all.

I have grandchildren in the same school and I buy from them. I don't like these fund raisers because I feel they are taking advantage of the fact that most grandparents and parents find it hard to say "no" even if they can't afford it. I would rather give a small donation directly to the school, but they tie these fund raisers in with prizes to the kids who sell the most and of course my grandkids want to win a prize. I also resent the fact that since I cannot afford to buy from the other children I am forced to disappoint them when they come to my door.

As a parent of girls who used to sell Girl Scout cookies and other things when they went to grade school, I know how the system works. I usually always buy some little thing if I can, kind of paying forward for when my girls and I solicited every person we came across. I do like the idea of a donation if I don't want to actually buy something, but I know these kids usually get some kind of bonus for selling the items. Girl Scouts are working to pay for their camp in the summer. It depends on how many boxes they sell.

My granddaughter was selling something to raise money for her highschool glee club to go somewhere. This is something that is not covered by the school.

• Susan

There isn't a legal spending limit based on age. The idea of wanting such a law also seems against the ideology of a free society. However how you raise your child is your business. Though, if the child spent his money on a item that he could legally buy, then why should the store lose money buy giving a full refund for something they cannot resell at full price? I don't see a legal or moral basis for it. Pay the restocking fee, and move on.

I do not buy door to door fund raising items. I got burned on that. A kid took my order, I paid with check, but never got my order. I had to go through the school to get it straight. Seems the kid picked up his orders for delivery, but kept some of the orders for himself. Brat. So unfortunately, I no longer buy this way. I will buy at shopping plazas where you pay and get your purchase on the spot. Being new to a neighborhood, and not knowing neighbors, I will not order, but have ordered in the past years from family students.

• DeeJay

I live in a town of about 10,000 people.

I have 16 grandchildren and they usually are involved, so I wouldn't dare support anyone else before finding out if they are also doing the fundraiser.

When it gets to be too much, I tell my own flat out that I can't pay out another penny for that particular month and I'm not shy about telling them no.

We donate to many needy causes throughout the year, but sometimes a person feels enough is enough.

Now my hubby is another story. He can't say no, to anyone who knocks at our door.

I don't get a lot of that ; but when I run into it at the store , like the Girl Scouts with cookies , or boys raising money for their teams at school , I buy something . If they hit me up again I just tell them I already bought some .

A lot of parents bring the fundraising brochures to their jobs. I really don't see kids going door-to-door anymore which is probably a good idea with the pedophiles, etc. Girl scouts sit outside of our grocery stores. I'll confess it's difficult for me to say no to chocolate. You can always tell them you've already bought from other kids.

I just say no thank you and go on my way. No one is allowed to go door to door where I live so this is at a store.

One thing I don't approve of is the scouts taking so much of the money the kids bring in for their headquarters. Why do they do that? are these officials living LARGE on the backs of kids? Just wondering

As a teacher, it sounds to me like you are very generous with your resources and time. I'd just be honest and thank them for asking but say you don't need any of what's being sold. I've just made a small contribution to my nephew's school because I don't want any magazines, but I wanted to help out.