Becoming an Au Pair around La Ciotat and Marseille in the South of France in 2009.What do I need to know?

The family lives beachfront around La Ciotat, not far from Marseille, and I will have a lot of free time.

Of course I am already aware of the Au Pair-related issues with the family, visa, etc etc and so these need for explanation there. I will be taking French lessons while I am there, as well as hopefully finding a short course before I go as I really only know the basic greetings. With this family my only real job is to immerse their children in the english language (the family is already multilingual and the children speak basic english).

Apart from the language barrier which I am trying to overcome, what should I know about people and the lifestyle in the South of France area and how to make the most of my time there? (I will be 18 at the time, am Australian, although have travelled enough to be very open minded when it comes to culture shock!) Any other interesting information or support anybody has to offer would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

My sister lives in Marseille. Like most French people, they take their time for dinner. Their life style is a lot slower than any other part of the world. French people respect your privacy and they may seem not to friendly to some people but actually, they are. When they get to know you, they are friendly just like everyone else.

I took a trip to Italy with a bunch of French people. We still keep in touch. They invited me to their house for snack and appetizer. Southern France is very pretty if you like Provence. They have the distintive and specialty in each region. If you have a chance, make sure to see Notre Dame de la garde. It's very pretty.