What breed or type of dog would you reccommend for a single person living alone in a house?

My german shepherd died one a half years ago. I would like to get a dog for myself that would be OK with being alone for eight hours. Although I know that dogs are social creatures, I live alone and wonder what type of dog or breed would be less anxious by having their owner gone for 8 hours at work. My german... show more My german shepherd died one a half years ago. I would like to get a dog for myself that would be OK with being alone for eight hours. Although I know that dogs are social creatures, I live alone and wonder what type of dog or breed would be less anxious by having their owner gone for 8 hours at work. My german shepherd adapted but had moments of anxiety and destructiveness despite medication and behavior modification. I would like to adopt from a shelter, so another question might be: what do i look for (literally) in a dog shelter to judge if his personality would fit in my home, I did walk my dog daily went to dog parks, didn't make a big deal when leaving or arriving, so it is just the isolation of being alone 8 hours that I worry about. thanks for the help!