Is it legal to change company policy to "no dating in the workplace" if the employees were hired while dating?

I work in a large corporation, and my location recently got a new manager. He came in with a bunch of rules like, black socks, tuck in your shirts, no drinks, no long sleeves, only black and white clothes, solid black shoes, no facial piercings, no more than 2 ear piercings. All new rules. Then there's supposed to be one more rule. NO DATING OTHER EMPLOYEES. My boyfriend and I were dating before we ever got our jobs, and everyone in the whole store knows that we're dating, including the managers, and the old general manager. We do our work, we work in different sections. But we have the options...One of us transfers, One of us quits, We break up, or we both get fired. Is this legal at all? Can anyone find me a federal website or anything that's against this?

When everyone was hired that was even a sexual harrasment video that said that you can ask out other people in the work place, and it's not considered sexual harrasment unless you persist, and that a manager, or someone of higher authority can not date an employee, but it never said anything about just employees dating. I understand that the rule could be beneficial. But if people were hired dating, and the managers knew that they were dating when they were hired, then I don't see how it would be legal to seperate them.

If it is legal, you two should still be immune to punishment (ex post facto law!)

Do you want to get married?

It is illegal to discriminate in any aspect of employment, including: An employer is required to reasonably accommodate the religious belief of an employee or prospective employee, unless doing so would impose an undue hardship.

Discriminatory practices under these laws also include: denying employment opportunities to a person because of marriage to, or association with, an individual of a particular race, religion, national origin, or an individual with a disability. Title VII also prohibits discrimination because of participation in schools or places of worship associated with a particular racial, ethnic, or religious group.

Do you want to wear religion clothes and jewelry?

harassment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, or age

Discriminatory Practices including:

hiring and firing;

compensation, assignment, or classification of employees;

transfer, promotion, layoff, or recall;

job advertisements;

recruitment;

testing;

use of company facilities;

training and apprenticeship programs;

fringe benefits;

pay, retirement plans, and disability leave; or

other terms and conditions of employment.

• Brad

I'm not sure whether they're legally allowed to do that, but it depends upon your state.

Most of this stuff sounds absolutely unreasonable and the idea of prohibiting somebody from dating somebody else sounds like something out of Orwell. I doubt that such authoritarianism actually does anything except reduce productivity.

The one thing I would suggest is not to break up. Nobody has the right to tell you who you can and can't date.

Yes, a company has the right to dictate a behavior code for office or workplace behavior. A no dating policy has become more and more common these days due to sexual harassment lawsuits.

it is legal and they can make it retro active.

Unmarried couples have no protection under the law.

I would go to HR and see if they will make exceptions for people already dating.

BTW: That is a good rule for workplaces to have. It elinimates a LOT of problems.

No corporation, not even the Military can impose its own rules on a person's personal life. However, it is up to the person to adhere to company rules WHEN ON THE JOB.

quick! get engaged, cuz then he would be your fiancee. theres one way of getting around it. :)

and yes, it is legal for them to say that. Check out The today show's website, you may have to do some searching on the site, but they had a segment on that a few weeks ago.

A new mananger has the right to come and and change policy if he or she so chooses, including fraternization rules. You aren't married - you don't have rights.

If you don't like it, you can change jobs.

There is a difference between "no dating in the workplace" and "NO DATING OTHER EMPLOYEES."

They have every right to restrict what you do while at work. They have NO right to restrict what you do outside of work.

I don't think so that its legal.